You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Support for Canon CR3 Format?

It seems that support for the Canon CR3 format is a long time coming as the first camera with native CR3 images was the EOS M50 and was released on 26 February ... As it is now September is there any likelihood we will see native RAW support for CR3 images soon?

This is the new Canon format and will be in all new cameras.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, also 

On 9/14/2018 at 11:52 PM, AiDon said:

It seems that support for the Canon CR3 format is a long time coming as the first camera with native CR3 images was the EOS M50 and was released on 26 February ... As it is now September is there any likelihood we will see native RAW support for CR3 images soon?

This is the new Canon format and will be in all new cameras.

Yes, I'm also waiting. It's really tedious and slow to develop the raw philes in Canon's Digital Photo Professional first. And I find that, if I convert it with the free Adobe DNG converter, the dng files look very washed out in Affinity Photo. Please guys.... the M50 is already the best selling camera in Japan, and all Canon's new cameras will use cr3.  

It seems as though most companies have been slow in producing support for Canon's CR3 as even now Phase One has just released preliminary support in the latest version of capture One Pro.

Only  Adobe, which is not an option for me, has mature support because they have had RAW conversion capabilities since April this year. Obviously that is good for people who subscribe to Adobe products, it isn't an option for me, but with the release of the EOS R it should speed the industry up to release CR3 support.

Maybe the industry didn't think CR3 was the updated CR2?

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

hey there, I also own the EOS M50 and waiting for the support of CR3, too. 

yesterday I also bought the AffinityPhoto Software and hope there will be soon cr3 supported by this. I know I am not the only one out there who hopes support coming soon!!! please affinity -team show us you can compete with adope. I would a lot of EOS M50 users made proud of affinity : ) 

are you already working on supporting cr3?

please let us know, thanks for that great software so far! it really works perfect :17_heart_eyes:

I have just bought an M50 and am looking at a trial version of Affinity as a change from PSE11. I am very impressed, but the lack of CR3 support in a big turn-off. Please, Serif, give us a date for CR3 support and I will buy it immediately.

22 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Dlight,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We are continuously adding support for more cameras/models on each release. It's just a question of time until .CR3 support gets implemented, quite possibly in the next update (1.7). Bear with us while we work on it.

So I hope that the 77D gets support as well (it still uses cr2 files, but they don't really work correctly in terms of colour)

• 5 months later...
26 minutes ago, JP.Imaging said:

When will (1.7) be officially released and does it support .CR3

No one but Serif knows when it will be released, and they are not saying.

As for .CR3, there are two factors to consider:

1. Whether you're on Mac or Windows. Mac users have a choice of the Serif Labs Raw engine, or the Apple Raw engine, which may support a different set of cameras.
  2. CR3 is a file format. What Serif supports is specific camera models. A newer camera may produce an incompatible CR3 file, which Serif might not be able to handle. So you need to talk about what camera you have, not simply what file  format you're interested in.

For Mac, you can find a list of the cameras currently supported by Serif in the posts in this topic. This is a changing list, so you should read all the posts.

For Windows, you can find a similar list in the posts in this topic. Again, the list changes, so you should read all the posts.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Terry Danks said:

Considering moving to DXOPhotoLab. This lack of .cr3 support in Sept. 2019 is not acceptable!

Thanks for the Info. I am also disappointed...  first impression was good but i already owned a canon m50 supporting .cr3! I bought tje software and was pretty sure .cr3 will be suppirted soon. But nothing until now has happend and even not a fair answer till when this will be supported. I will try to get my money back. DXOPhotoLab looks quite interessting. AFFINITY I REALLY LIKED YOU! 

• Staff

It seems to be an Apple RAW related issue, which we have already logged with them. The only workaround, for now, is to re-boot the ipad and try to force apple RAW in recognising this file type. One way to do it is to drag-drop a CR3 file inside Photos. If you then start Photo, it should work. I've just reproduced this workflow on an iPad here in the office. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, David Portwain said:

I also shoot exclusively in RAW and my Canon R saves files as CR3. How do I get the 1.8 Beta please?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums

You shouldn't need the beta, as 1.8.2 is the current retail release.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1