You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Large file size

I'm not really sure if this is a bug or not, but I hope so.  I had a PagePlusX9 file of a short story with images.  It is 2.3MB.  I entered it again in Publisher.  The Publisher file is 1.3GB - same thing.  This is huge.  The corresponding PDF files, which I need to use in my imposition software, are 67MB (from PagePlusX9) and 355MB (from Publisher).  The 355MB one is too large for my imposition software.

These are monstrous files.  I hope this is a bug because, if not, I simply won't be able to use Publisher.

(Splitting into separate files, one for each signature, doesn't work in Publisher because, when I try this, Publisher loses images from the last page.  With PagePlusX9, I could split the file into one for each signature.)

Cheers,

Robin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I also have this problem. I converted a Picture Book to digital for a friend, and it had a lot of high resolution images. The document is set to prefer linked images, and the resource viewer shows the images are linked, but the document takes several seconds to save and is 1.6gb, so presumably the images are getting embedded somehow. This occurs with 1.7.270 and 1.7.283.

It looks like Affinity Publisher just embeds the full size images regardless of whether or not you choose to link, since even when I open the file without the images being in a locatable folder, they still load at full size. If you must store image previews, it might be better just to store thumbnails if the image is linked rather than embedded.

I found this relevant forum link regarding file size with Affinity Designer, so perhaps the work on this issue is yet to have been tackled, but I hope it is soon:

I also noticed that Publisher is using absolute file paths for image location, but relative paths seem like they would work much better in most cases. I guess it really depends on how the images are stored. I personally just link images that are stored in a folder in the same directory as the afpub file, so it's easy to move everything around, but I suppose some people might use images on a network drive or something, so in that case, absolute links would be better. It would be nice if users could easily change the root folder in which to look for linked images.

Aside from this and a few other bugs, Publisher has been pretty great so far. Looking forward to the final release!

Edited by Mr_Flamey
Adding more information

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.