You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Switch between Artistic & Frame text

Is it really such a great hardship to stretch out a text frame until you’re sure it’s more than wide enough to accommodate all of the text, and then adjust the width of that box once the text has been added??

Maybe it's not a hardship but usability is often about little things like this. Not to keep banging the drum but Freehand had it right.
The more Affinity can become a vessel for the ghost of Freehand, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by ThatMikeGuy

15 hours ago, mediumcheese said:

Do you just go look for feature requests that you deem unnecessary by the way you use the app just to argue with people who support it?…Why are you even in here?

Alfred is here for the same reason everyone is supposed to be here: to discuss a topic and it merits, not just vote yea or nay. And NOT to throw personal insults.

JET

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/10/2018 at 4:13 PM, Barbasol said:

That's interesting in that it shows the functionality is almost already built it!

The main thing missing is to autosize the text frame. For my purposes, this is mainly what I need (Artistic->Frame Text). Thanks.

Great little trick, this is pretty much all I needed, thanks 👍

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Just to complete this request I add a link to a post from the currently more intensive discussed thread in the Q&A forum.
It contains a possibly additionally, new feature / option aside the requested simple option to toggle between art text / frame text.

Also it contains a link to another post in that thread with various screenshots showing some use cases where the requested toggling can be helpful by the auto-limited bounding box of art text objects in layouts with many single snippets of text which need to get added successive and get moved around and sorted before a final layout is achieved.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 5 months later...

Another user who feels this is sorely needed. And here's my specific use case:

I recently made the jump to Designer after many years (and lots of lost money) to Illustrator/CC. Now, I have a bunch of old .ai files that I'm trying import into Designer, and really hitting my head against a wall with the amount of settings/properties that are being dropped through that import. I get an import is always tricky to do right and I'm certainly not expecting it to be perfect. But the process so far, at least as best I can figure out, means I need to rebuild massive amounts of my files from scratch.

Let's take one file as an example - I have a map with upwards of 250 stations, all with text labels. About 30% of these text labels were multi-line. When I import this into Designer, it converts all of these text boxes to Artistic Text, and breaks up multi-line text into separate objects. The breaking multi-line text into multiple objects is a pain, but one I could work with...but now all text being Artistic too means any multi-line text boxes needs to be recreated rather than just edited, and if I want to keep flexibility with editing in the future I should probably do that with the other text too...guess I'm rewriting all 250 station text bubbles from scratch. 

If someone can point out a better way to handle this I'll gladly listen! But unless I'm missing it, there's no way to choose Artistic vs Frame for text when importing a file, and coupled with no way to convert post-import, well, it's a struggle for sure (to say nothing of the fact that the text import also dropped horizontal/vertical alignment settings, baked in my "false-uppercase" settings, and in some cases changed the positions of the text as well. And numerous things like curved anchor points being baked in, symbols coming in as groups, and grouping/sub-layering in general being lost...well, it piles up).

Anyway, I don't mean to digress - all this is to say +1 from me too! Hopefully this provides a clear example why such a feature is, from where I'm sitting, very much needed.  

41 minutes ago, August R said:

Another user who feels this is sorely needed. And here's my specific use case:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

The function exists now in V2, at least in Designer and Publisher.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, August R said:

Where might I find this game-changer?

In the Layer menu

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.