You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

the whole picture placing thing...

Hi!

Some of the following points are already said but the more things I try with Publisher the more I get dissatisfyed with the whole picture placing thing. 

The first time I opened InDesign I had no idea how to do anything but after a while you realize that you need a frame for everything. So you draw your frames and fill it with whatever you want. For the last six years I have done a lot of work with InDesign for university and got used to it and how it works. I have never seen any other DTP software and i do not want to say that Publisher should be exactly the same as InDesign but there are some things in Publisher that definietly confusing me completely

PICTURE FRAME RESIZE

1. Draw a picture frame in the size you want.
  2. Place a image into the picture frame.
  3. Select the image in the layers panel to manualy move an resize it (ID: just press 'a' for the right tool or double click within the frame for the right tool to move and resize the image within the frame.
  4. If you now change the size of the picture frame the placed image does automaticaly rescale, depending on the choice under 'Properties'
  5. Confusion
  6. Back to step 3

PLACED IMAGE INTO FRAME
I tried placed an image via drag n drop but needed it within an image frame. How to do? Maybe just draw a picture frame and nest the image within the picture frame in the layers panel. The image is somehow within the picture frame now but somehow differend as if you would have directly placed it whitin the picture frame. So how can I bring a placed image into a picture frame?

ORIGINAL SIZE

It is already discussed in another topic but very important when you place scaled architecture drawings for example, too.

CROP TOOL FOR PLACED IMAGES

I realized that you can also use the crop tool for placed images and picture and somehow I got something that at least looks like what I opticaly want but with a strange behavoiur. Select differend things in the layers panel, check/uncheck 'lock children', ...

All I am begging for is the possibility to draw a frame that fits into the layout (margin, grid, guides, ...) and place an image within the frame that I can move and scale the so that the right area is visible. But the easy way without a search for the right parent or child object or some automaticaly resizing that i don not want becaus a already have done this manually.

Please tell me if I just got a strange workflow in InDesign or when there is a simple and logical workflow in Publisher that I have overlooked.

Thanks!

PS: I often missed something like the artistic text tool in InDesign. So thanks for this!

16 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Hi ol4f,

We've fixed the issue with the custom zoom and placement being lost when a picture frame is resized. This will be in the next build which is coming in the next few days. Please bear with us and try again when that is available.

Great!

Maybe the core of my confusion is just the existenze of two incompatible tools for image placing.

HERE is another point in forgot to include in my post. In some way it is also related to the whole picture placing thing...

2 hours ago, ol4f said:

Please tell me if I just got a strange workflow in InDesign

This playing with frames is not necessary, InDy autoframes just fine. That makes quite a smooth workflow. Of course readymade frames can be useful if you have regular structure built in the master page. (And that latter is still something that is weird in Publisher..)

Frame or no frame in Publisher is something I have not yet decided if there is faulty logic supporting both or am I just not seeing the genius of it.

2 hours ago, Fixx said:

This playing with frames is not necessary, InDy autoframes just fine. That makes quite a smooth workflow. Of course readymade frames can be useful if you have regular structure built in the master page. (And that latter is still something that is weird in Publisher..)

Frame or no frame in Publisher is something I have not yet decided if there is faulty logic supporting both or am I just not seeing the genius of it.

I find it confusing. Basically you have 3 tools for 1 job. Frame, directly placed image and the crop tool. Seems redundant

7 minutes ago, Thisismandatory said:

Basically you have 3 tools for 1 job. Frame, directly placed image and the crop tool. Seems redundant

They all provide different capabilities, and depending on what you want to accomplish one will probably be better than the others.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

They all provide different capabilities, and depending on what you want to accomplish one will probably be better than the others.

picture frame and place image are the same thing. In the end both serve to place an image on the document. Them behaving differently makes it even more of an issue. Especially if you would have a mix of both in the document and in the end there is no visual cue to differentiate them.

The crop tool can be useful, especially when is used to crop multiple placed objects. But in the perspective of an image does the same as the frame itself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2018 at 12:46 PM, Fixx said:

Is "InDy autoframes" a feature of Affinity Publisher? I would definitely prefer the option to simply place an image directly within text size it, then activate text wrap.

Thanks from a hopeless newbie!

• 5 years later...

I hope I am in the right thread for my question. Hope this makes sense: After 3 publications I am still not able to find a way of scaling an image in such a way that it scales from one edge only. At the moment  after placing an image in Publisher and selecting the image and then dragging by the bottom anchor using cmd key  the image is enlarged from the centre.  . But I want to enlarge the image so that the scaling is from one side or the other and NOT all four sides at once which makes it very difficult to place in a grid.  I know I used to  accomplish this in InD. Note  I do mean scale and not random enlarge from one side or another.  ( Publisher V1.10.6 for now) 

iMac late 2012 / OS 10.14.6 / Affinity newbie /

48 minutes ago, bici said:

I hope I am in the right thread for my question.

Probably would have been better to simply post it as a new topic/question, in my opinion :)

48 minutes ago, bici said:

At the moment  after placing an image in Publisher and selecting the image and then dragging by the bottom anchor using cmd key  the image is enlarged from the centre.

Using the Cmd key would resize around the center. Just drag the lower-right corner.

There's a Status Bar at the bottom of the application window with hints. Here's one from Windows (V2, but should be the same in V1):

image.png.63ee661c35c83b3dbc8ce815e3eb224e.png

Note, too, that there's an application Preference, under Tools, called Move Tool Aspect Constrain, that can affect whether you need to hold Shift or not. When set to the default, for images, you do not need to hold Shift if you want it to respect the aspect ratio when enlarging.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Note, too, that there's an application Preference, under Tools, called Move Tool Aspect Constrain, that can affect whether you need to hold Shift or not. When set to the default, for images, you do not need to hold Shift if you want it to respect the aspect ratio when enlarging

I reset the preferences and I cannot do anything but scale respecting ratio from the centre. In your example how would one scale the image until it fit in to the right hand guide respecting the ratio and NOT scaling from the centre but expand to fit WITHOUT  messing wih ratio. in orders words leave the top and left static where it is and then expand to the right and down and RETAIN RATIO?   I have tried everything and nothing works. I lose the ratio as the image gets taller or fatter.. Perhaps I am dense. 

iMac late 2012 / OS 10.14.6 / Affinity newbie /

19 minutes ago, bici said:

In your example how would one scale the image until it fit in to the right hand guide respecting the ratio and NOT scaling from the centre but expand to fit WITHOUT  messing wih ratio. in orders words leave the top and left static where it is and then expand to the right and down and RETAIN RATIO?

Drag the lower right corner, without holding any modifier keys.

-- Walt
PC: