Jump to content
alsarraf

Select Multiple Artboards With Move Tool

Recommended Posts

Click on the Name of the Artboard to select it.

You can select multiple Artboards by holding Shift.

Drag within the blue bounding rectangle to move all selected Artboards.

1817951557_AffinityMoveArtboards.gif.ea284ecade0688df08f25619f6184180.gif


Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, alsarraf said:

Add an option in the Context Toolbar for the Move Tool that makes the tool selects artboards instead of its layers.

This will dramatically save time and efforts for anyone who want to rearrange tens of artboards.

Hello @alsarraf,

you can click on the artboard's name and this will select the entire artboard. You can SHIFT+click on multiple artboard names and select those you want to move.

d.

PS: ... as @Aammppaa posted one minute ago while still typing :)


Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.502)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This forum really needs to tell you that someone else is typing!


Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Aammppaa said:

This forum really needs to tell you that someone else is typing!

Seriously? With the recent busy activity it would rrrrring all the time :)

d.


Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.502)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

This forum really needs to tell you that someone else is typing!

It does tell me, most of the time, if someone else posts a reply while I'm composing mine. Perhaps 99% or more, but not 100%.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dominik Only within a specific post.

For example if you were considering replying to the OP but saw a little message "Aammppaa is typing" you might consider holding off for a few minutes to see whether I wrote anything worth reading!

@walt.farrell Yes but it only tells you once they have posted rather than while they are writing.

It isn't really a serious suggestion, just an acknowledgement that it is frustrating when posts clash and you get two excellent but identical answers.


Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aammppaa said:

Click on the Name of the Artboard to select it.

You can select multiple Artboards by holding Shift.

Drag within the blue bounding rectangle to move all selected Artboards.

1817951557_AffinityMoveArtboards.gif.ea284ecade0688df08f25619f6184180.gif

I know that I can do that, but I have a file with tens of artboards and selecting the name of each artboard individually is annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, alsarraf said:

I know that I can do that, but I have a file with tens of artboards and selecting the name of each artboard individually is annoying.

Hi @alsarraf,

there's another way to select multiple artboards quite efficiently. Use the layers palette.

Assuming you want to select ALL artboards:

  1. In the layers palette click on the top most artboard.
  2. Then SHIFT+Click on the bottom most artboard > now all artboards are selected and can be moved with the Move Tool.

If you want to exclude some of the artboards you can CTRL+Click on them (make sure to click on the artboard's name, not on the thumbnail).

I hope this is closer to what you are asking for :)
d.


Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.502)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 7:20 PM, dominik said:

Hi @alsarraf,

there's another way to select multiple artboards quite efficiently. Use the layers palette.

Assuming you want to select ALL artboards:

  1. In the layers palette click on the top most artboard.
  2.  Then SHIFT+Click on the bottom most artboard > now all artboards are selected and can be moved with the Move Tool.

If you want to exclude some of the artboards you can CTRL+Click on them (make sure to click on the artboard's name, not on the thumbnail).

I hope this is closer to what you are asking for :)
d.

Your case is efficient for selecting all artboards, but its not for selecting multiple artboards, because their order usually is not the same as that of layers in the layers palette, and finding the artboard in the layers palette to select it is much harder than selecting its name in the workspace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, alsarraf said:

Your case is efficient for selecting all artboards, but its not for selecting multiple artboards, because their order usually is not the same as that of layers in the layers palette, and finding the artboard in the layers palette to select it is much harder than selecting its name in the workspace.

That is a valid point. I am sure the programmers are listening and are putting this on their (ever so growing) todo list :)

Cheers,
d.


Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.502)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marquee select for artboards is my #1 feature request.

Let me share my experience.

I work on an app with another designer. She's a hard worker. If I told her to run a marathon, she'd say "I'm on it!" That's the kind of work ethic she has. Yet if I tell her to rearrange some artboards in Affinity Designer, she audibly groans.

I think it's less about the time it takes and more about the delta between how long it takes and how long it ought to take.

 

Disclosure: Feature request ≠ Customer dissatisfaction. Thanks for all your efforts on this tool. It's a lynchpin to our organization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.