You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Balance columns checkmark not working?

In the Text Frame Studio, there are options for setting the width of individual columns and the gutter. There is also a "Balance Columns" checkmark.

In a 8" wide 2 column text box, for example, if I have the gutter set to 0.5", I end up with 2 columns at 3.75" each. If I alter one of them, to let's say, 4", then the entire text frame width changes to 8.25". If I then check the "Balance Columns" checkbox, I would expect it to automatically balance the columns based on the text frame width, now 8.25". In the Help section, it actually says, "tick this checkbox to automatically balance columns of text regardless of size." But it doesn't change anything by simply checking/unchecking the box.

The only way I can get the columns to be balanced again is to change the number of columns back down to 1 and then back up again. If I do this when Balance Columns" is checked, it works great. Not sure if this is by design or not.

You are misunderstanding what Balance Text is designed to do.

It balances the length of the text within each column, regardless of the width of each column or the number of columns.

In the GIF I have some text, add a 2nd column, initially with Balance Columns enabled, so the text is always roughly the same length on each side.

In the second half of the animation, I turn off Balance Columns, so the text is mostly in the left hand column.

695145596_AffinityBalanceColumns.gif.9ba7d69efb10e29a26cc721396fe37c4.gif

It does not balance the width of the columns themselves.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.