You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I get Confused about paragraph text charachter-stiles..

Hi everyone,

Now, to understand better what Affinity Publisher does with text, as a newbie to Layout Programms , i have just startet to watch a tutorial how indesign organises Text, Paragraphs and so on..

And the first thing i couldnt find in Aff Publisher, was, that i am not able to organise paragraph stiles in the paragraph pannel as indesign does..  

I still get confused how all this works together, and i do have to understand it when in some time i have to teach this and also the differences of Affinity Publisher to Indesign. 

So ...  do you know allready any   tutoraials out there   that go beyound the startingtutorials in Affinity´s Website ?  

How does this work, how to styles influence each other , how do i copy ore organise them, how do textstyles ovrride Paragraph styles in Affinity Publisher and so on...   

Anything out there, to ease my learning curve allready ?

thanks in advance

Tom

I kept meaning to getting around to organizing the styles but never did yet. Now that I've tried to I realize we can't, this is a feature I would love to see in the final version.

So this is seconded.

As to say how they influence each other, the short answer is that it depends on the job and how you work. For long form stuff like books I like to work with plain text and import it then apply predefined styles to the paragraphs. For a leaflet or poster I just choose fonts sizes etc and don't use styles at all.

Basically if you are going to use a font with leading, size, weight, justification,  spacing etc etc more than just once I would suggest that you make a style, then if you make a couple of variations of it later on make a style based on the original and just make the little changes to that second style.

Text Styles is just a pallet/panel/pane which holds the Paragraph Styles and the Character Styles in one place and it is the place where you make new ones. It is covered quickly in the tutorial videos and I think we still have some bugs in it. I just haven't been able to figure out whether or not the behaviour are bugs yet.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.