You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Folded Publications

I certainly hope they don't.

Will they use American sizes, or European sizes - will be be A, B, C sizes, German Din, Swedish, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, American Loose, Ansi, Arch, Notebook Sizes, Office Sizes, photograph sizes, post sizes etc. 

The reason I say it is because, for example, a direct mailer, would have different post size requirements per country, so having a default folding size that folds to a size that does adhere to postage requirements could cause an increase in posting prices. 

Plus, different countries have different paper sizes, therefore, creating something on a larger size "A4" that has to be printed in a country with a different size "A4" would cause increased printing charges. 

If you want folding templates I can certainly help you create them for the specific purpose you want - but heck no - I don't want to see "folding templates" added to the software. 

I definitely don't want to see Publisher become a "bloatware" with add-ons that are not necessary, this and impositions are not required for this type of application.

That of course is my opinion, sorry for rambling on.

Better solution is contact the printer who you are going to be sending your file to and ask for a template for how they fold it. There are tons of PDF templates out there, but the safest is a template from your printer. 

Better for printers if software companies stay away from templates that may not actually be correct. Canva has some serious issues with some of their templates and it is seriously annoying to have to fix files that come from this web based design site. Simple thing like business cards are always a mess, at least the ones coming from our customers who use it. 

I totally agree. you can start working on folder template for a client and sign it off, and turns out that a new die has to be cast to make the folder, driving up the cost of the print. 

Most printers have templates and die casts made already - which they can use at no additional cost. A die can cost up to and if not more than €100 a go.

Although, a lot of places use laser to cut to shape these days - but still. Your shape has to work with what the printer can work with or you will incur extra charges. 

Please please please Affinity do not go way of folder templates - there's a lot of templates out there already.

5 hours ago, Eugene Tyson said:

This is actually a great area for Affinity to explore though. Are Affinity open to people creating plugins? An external plugin for creating Folded Templates and Impositions would be welcome.

I hope so. Indesign has scripts you can get that add different functionality. There are a few I use for importing multi page PDF's while applying reduction or enlarging at a certain percentage. Super useful when needing to bring in a large PDF to adjust and prep for imposing. 

Just now, wonderings said:

I hope so. Indesign has scripts you can get that add different functionality. There are a few I use for importing multi page PDF's while applying reduction or enlarging at a certain percentage. Super useful when needing to bring in a large PDF to adjust and prep for imposing. 

You can also install 3rd party plugins which is superhandy.