You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing: Right indent Tab (Shift-Tab)

• 2 years later...

I agree on this. InDesign has both a Right-Aligned Tab, and a Right Indent Tab, which is very useful. 

I brought an InDesign document that we just printed into Affinity, just to practice on, while it was fresh in my mind, and I notice that all Right Indent Tabs were missing, including their leaders. I had to go into the tabs bar and rebuild them using a Right-Align tab.

Another thing that was broken in this same regard was the hanging punctuation, which resulted in the typesetting of the list looking less professional. I did find where I could fix this with "optical alignemnt," which ended up looking better than the INDD doc, by the way. But still, it didn't do this automagically, per the INDD doc, but had to be manually fixed after import.

This discussion was quite old, and Publisher now has support for right-indent tab, @claidheamdanns, either using Shift+Tab or via Text > Insert > Spaces and Tabs > Right Indent Tab.

I'm not sure what it supports when you're importing IDML documents, though.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Okay thanks, I see that I can now add a "shift tab" right indent tab, after importing the document. But, it still doesn't come in with the IDML import. And it lost all the leaders for the right indent tab, too. I was able to add those back in using a right align tab.

Right now, we have a slow time at work, so I'm mainly just seeing what "breaks" when I bring an InDesign document into Affinity Publisher. We believe that Affinity will eventually be the replacement for Adobe, especially among freelance graphic designers who can't afford to "rent" Adobe software. So, we want to: 1. be aware of what is going on in AP files, and its limitations, and 2. be knowledgeable about how to use the suite of apps, so that customers trust us to help walk them through things they can't figure out.

We have some customers who still use that other Publisher (ack!) by Microsoft, and we would LOVE for them to move over to Affinity, and provide us with more professional files from which to print. But we know we will need to be ready to hold their hand and walk them through it.

54 minutes ago, claidheamdanns said:

Okay thanks, I see that I can now add a "shift tab" right indent tab, after importing the document. But, it still doesn't come in with the IDML import. And it lost all the leaders for the right indent tab, too. I was able to add those back in using a right align tab.

You should start your own topic, either in the Questions forum or (perhaps better) in the Bugs forum, assuming you're using the released version of Publisher. Or, if you're using the beta, you should start it in the appropriate Beta forum.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1