You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer menu's Insertion sub-menu

You are correct that the insertion sub-menu is not present in Publisher (at present).

The help file is far from complete and mostly based on the Designer help file, where the insertion sub-menu does exist!

You can customise the toolbar and add the insert target icons which perform the same function as the sub-menu.

As far a clipping goes…

The easiest method in my opinion is to drag layers inside each other in the layers panel.

660924638_AffinityNestMultipleObjects.gif.52d5772c2444bc9bf7c3ea87799d5b2a.gif

Alternatively you can cut and paste inside, either on the Edit menu or with the keypress Ctrl+Alt+V.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

The Publisher Help is not completely reliable at this point. It's possible that Layer's Insertion submenu hasn't been implemented, or that the Help is wrong.

In any case, judging from the menus in Designer, and the Designer Help, all the submenu really provides is one method for you to set the insertion behavior. An alternative method is to use the "Insert Target" buttons on the Publisher toolbar: image.png.0c8f9c2e02d34908ff8ee6e2e0a73b74.png (which you can add via View > Customize Toolbar... if they're not showing for you).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Aammppaa and Walt,

I thought it was simply a bit ahead of the implementation.  I'd been able to do this kind of clipping easily in Photo.  AAmmppaa's example was very helpful.  I will say that I find working with layers a bit of a challenge.  Half the time I move a layer up it simply seems to replace the layer it was placed above and that layer disappears.  A Ctrl-Z backs it out OK.  Then I move the above down and it works as expected.  In any case, I'm good to go now. 

It's very important that you control where your mouse cursor is (left to right position) as you're dragging in the layers panel, and that you watch the position of the blue highlight that appears above the layer you're moving, which will show you exactly what you're about to do if you release the mouse button.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.