You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

nudge, rotation, zoom, clone etc.

I'm trying to use Affinity Photo for photo editing, so it will be great to have:

1. Nudge via Arrow keys a Crop tool frame - it's difficult to position it without zooming back and forth;

2. Have a non-rounded (i.e. not only 12,75% - 25% - 50% -100% end so on) zoom levels via keyboard shortcuts. In some cases 25% will look too small and 50% will not fit;

3. Arbitrary rotation with some kind of Measure tool (like in Photoshop were exact degree value automatically appears in Rotate Arbitrary value field);

4. A preview for Clone and Healing Brush tools;

5. A command (Menu and/or) to Crop a Selection;

6. Shadow/Highlights with Radius/Range options in Layers;

7. Brush 90-45 degree constraints (via Shift+ or similar).

1. Instead of using the Crop Tool you could simply use a out a rectangle with a 1px stroke, and no fill. this can be moved using cursor keys. If you want to go the whole mile, nest your image in the rectangle, and lock children.

2. If you are looking for the perfect zoom level for an overview, then  set a new view point to your desired level of zoom. Then set a keyboard shortcut to Next View Point. Now a single key press will take you to the optimal position.

3.Are you talking about straightening an image to a horizon? If so the crop tool does this. Click straighten, drag the horizon line, job done.

4. Clone & Healing Brush already show a preview?!

5. Affinity works non-destructively. Try making selection, copy, then new from clipboard.

6. Don't know :)

7. Yep - folks been asking for a while… 

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

7 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

1. Instead of using the Crop Tool you could simply use a out a rectangle with a 1px stroke, and no fill. this can be moved using cursor keys. If you want to go the whole mile, nest your image in the rectangle, and lock children.

2. If you are looking for the perfect zoom level for an overview, then  set a new view point to your desired level of zoom. Then set a keyboard shortcut to Next View Point. Now a single key press will take you to the optimal position.

3.Are you talking about straightening an image to a horizon? If so the crop tool does this. Click straighten, drag the horizon line, job done.

4. Clone & Healing Brush already show a preview?!

5. Affinity works non-destructively. Try making selection, copy, then new from clipboard.

6. Don't know :)

7. Yep - folks been asking for a while… 

1. It's slow (no single keystroke) - so version 5 will be better - but with layers flatten first - and without option to straighten

2. i simply need more steps 

3. Oh, thanks, missed it

4. maybe some GPU driver issues (it crashed few times yesterday)

12 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

Workaround suggestions like these don't make sense in the feature request section...
How is that of equal value or even better than having Nudge inside the Crop tool? Using the rectangle tool to crop...

• isn't obvious to the user
  • one needs to configure the tool each time (remove fill, set line width)
  •  there's no access to preset aspect ratios
  • there's no crop overlays (golden ratio, rule of thirds...)

From Photoshop I also miss modifier keys to lock the current aspect ratio in unconstrained mode (shift) and for scaling the crop rectangle from the selection
center (alt). Both modifiers may get combined. When working with shapes or editing selections I miss these modifier options as well.

@ developers: While writing I noticed how incredibly slow the Crop tool is on Windows 10 – compared to my six years old Photoshop CS6.  When using the rotate handle I get very jittery updates even on simple jpgs. Doing the same on much larger RAW files in PS works smooth as butter, without the slightest delay. In my old Photoshop I may freely spin the image in circles at interactive framerate – there's no way to do the same in APhoto. I have recorded two samples, the Photoshop sample even looks way too slow, recorded at 30 frames/second...

Crop Tool performance APhoto
Crop Tool performance Photoshop CS6

Please work on performance on Windows.
At this point my more than half a decade old Photoshop runs in circles around Affinity Photo in all areas I have checked.

Machine specs: Win10, i76850K, 32GB RAM, GTX1070