You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artistic Text Tool - Text distance from frame

When using the "Artistic Text Tool" there is a way to add a frame around the "text place holder or frame" of the  Artistic Text box.  As some one else mentioned in this forum, you go to "View" then "Studio" and then "Text Frame" and the frame is easily added.  However, the frame border is immediately placed next to the text, it touches the text. There are extra setting on the Studio panel but nothing works to the effect of expanding or moving away the frame border from the text.

If I use the "Frame Text Tool" it works flawlessly... I am able to separate or move away (or closer) the frame border from the text.

How do I control the "ARTISTIC TEXT TOOL" frame border distance from the text?  Where is the hidden controls for that?  This awesome program must have it some where... I just cant find it.

As far as I know there is no frame for text created by the Artistic Text tool. This leaves me unsure what you're really trying to accomplish, or what the problem is. Can you provide an example, and perhaps a screenshot?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ok...

See attached pictures.

As the pictures show, THERE IS A WAY TO ADD A BORDER AROUND THE ARTISTIC TEXT (after adding the Artistic Text, use the "Move Tool" arrow to select the Artistic text frame, then go to VIEW-STUDIO-TEXT FRAME and use the "Stoke" to add the frame - the picture shows this "stoke" button too).  The problem is that I cannot create distance, or room/margin, between the border and the text.  I am able to do it when using the FRAME TEXT TOOL (as you can see on the pictures).

So again to my question:  How do I SPACE between the "Artistic" text border and the text just as it can be done when using a "Frame Text"?

Please, any one?

Using ARTISTIC TEXT TOOL.png

Using FRAME TEXT TOOL.png

The way I see It, it looks like an error as the "Text Frame" module should not apply to artistic text. And only "Stroke", "Color" and "Fill" have an effect, all other boxes are not responsive.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

"All other boxes are not responsive" is accurate, for the Artistic Text box... however, I see no reason why Artistic Text should not be allowed to have borders...  QuarXpress does, and PageMaker/InDesign... hey, even Word Processors do (like Word and WP - I do it all the time in those entry level programs).

I'm sure this is a bug, or that the actual settings are hidden some where... any one?

I'm still confused. Since you obviously want it to have a frame, why not just use the tool that gives you one rather than trying to "fake" a frame after the fact?

What are you trying to accomplish with Artistic Text that you couldn't simply do with Frame Text?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Question:  If both tools, Artistic Text and Text Frame, can do the same, then why have two different icons?  Or is it that one behaves in a way that the other does not?  I'm being rhetoric here.  There is a reason, if you are into DP, that it is better to use the Artistic Text Tool rather than the Text Frame (google it, or check YouTube to see examples)... the Artistic Text Tool already has the option to add the border to the frame, all I need now is to know how to put some distance between the border and the text.

Your question sound similar to this:  at an expensive restaurant I can have a whole table, and private area just for me; but at a fast food restaurant space is limited and I can't have privacy.  Why not just go to the private restaurant?  The answer is very obvious. I know is a silly analogy, but I can't think of a good one at the moment.

Please, any one knows?  Or is this a bug? The options to adjust the border distance is there... I hope that this is only a bug and it will be fixed soon...

But really, any one knows?

Thanks.

33 minutes ago, LFTV said:

Artistic Text Tool already has the option to add the border to the frame,

Again, what frame? There is none for the Artistic Text tool. I agree with AlainP (above) that it is probably a bug that the Text Frame panel applies at all for Artistic Text.

If you look at Designer, you can apply a stroke to Artistic Text but it is applied to the letters, as there is no frame. So unless Designer is changing in 1.7, I think that Publisher is simply allowing you to do something that is not intended.

We won't know, of course, until someone from Serif comments.

(In any case, yes, I could Google or search YouTube to get some general answers, but I wanted to know what you are trying to do, because I think you need to look for an alternative. There are some possibilities, but without knowing what you're trying to accomplish it's impossible to know what to suggest.)

-- Walt
PC:

I would say use the Text frame tool for text in a box and the Artistic Text tool for type on a path.

fox.jpeg.7995d38a1a65a831e2158763d6cc87cb.jpeg

The top bit would be better in a box.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Artistic Frame Tool... it allows to type text, for example, as a title which you do not want to be part of the body of the document, or as some fancy text "floating" around the page... ALL I want is to add a border (which Affinity Publisher already does) to that text (or "frame" of Artistic text) and then separate that border (make space between) from the text, just as it is done with the regular "Frame Text" tool... again, what I want to do is super simple:  add a border to the frame of the Artistic text (which is already done, as I proved with the screenshots) and then have a margin, a blank space, between the border and the text of the Artistic text frame (the option to do such a thing is there, but as some one else noticed... it's not responding, or perhaps the setting to do such a thing is some place else).

Any one knows?

Old Bruce... that text on a path that you have... imagine that with a "border" around the text and along the path... BUT with extra space between the border and the text.  The border option is already there, but the buttons that supposedly control the gap of space between the border and the text are not responding...

I'm thinking that I'm missing a step here with the Artistic Text Tool... then, the controls to make that gap of space between the border and the text will work...

As AleinP already mentioned, the options are not responsive to add or manipulate the space (as it is done with the Text Frame Tool).

6 minutes ago, LFTV said:

it allows to type text, for example, as a title which you do not want to be part of the body of the document, or as some fancy text "floating" around the page...

But you can do that with Frame Text; it doesn't require Artistic Text. Frame text can be used in lots of "non-body" cases.

As I said above, only the Serif staff will be able to comment on whether Publisher is supposed to be able to create a frame around Artistic Text, or not.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, LFTV said:

I'll report it as a bug... it's got to be a bug... the controls are there... they simply do nothing as of now.

I agree there's a bug. I think we  disagree on what it is.

I think that none of those controls should work, but some of them accidentally do.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, LFTV said:

...however, I see no reason why Artistic Text should not be allowed to have borders...  QuarXpress does, and PageMaker/InDesign...

QXP, PM & ID don't have artistic text.

One can have borders with adjustable offsets. But the text is still in a text frame.

Or, perhaps, simply draw a rectangle around the artistic text, spaced as desired.

-- Walt
PC: