You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create a own shape from overlapping shapes? (Designer)

Hi @all,

I watched this video tutorial which is for Illustrator and i want to rework it with designer. Transforming and so on, no problem, but around 4:30, she creates an own shape from the overlapping shapes of the circles. Is such or a similar function in designer too or how can i rework this step?
Here the link to the video:

The video is only in german language available. Would be nice if someone can halp me.
Thanks a lot :)

Uwe

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

You can do this quite easily but not the way this video does it. Take a look at this short video I made. 

https://youtu.be/kMgbl1LLC5Y

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@firstdefence

Thank you very much for your video and your explaining.
I was thinking abut to realise too and i found another solution which is similar to this illustrator tutorial.
I do this with the tools Divide and Kombine. At first i create the circles, then i select all and press Divide. Next step is to select the shapes like in the video and then press Combine.

So ist looks with divided shapes..
1562174718_ScreenShot017.JPG.28431b395f8f0926bda6f4799f0f1f78.JPG

Then i select the shapes i need, press Combine and fill it with another color.
2133115887_ScreenShot019.JPG.00ee108c0fc78b6342829579499692ae.JPG

So far this works very well and good, but if you have much more shapes than in this object, designer will delete some shapes if  it´s dividing but this i write in a separate Thread.

Thank you very much for your help and your video :)

Greetz
Uwe

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

2 hours ago, Uwe367 said:

designer will delete some shapes if  it´s dividing but this

Yes, I found that Boolean Combine knocked out certain shapes so I didn't follow the video's method and made what I consider a simpler method. :D

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, Uwe367 said:

Then i select the shapes i need, press Combine and fill it with another color.

When you have adjacent but non-overlapping shapes selected, ‘Combine’ should give you the same result as ‘Add’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

Thanks to you all for your suggestions and hints.

You’re welcome. :)

I opened a thread with this bug that designer deletes shapes while it is dividing. I think that it is a bug or isn't it?

That does sound like a bug. I don’t think the ‘Divide’ command should ever delete anything. :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

For anyone who is curious about what is being discussed, this is the effect that relates to the missing shapes. In this example it has been rotated about an offset rotation centre 30º
1311214836_ScreenShot2018-09-14at12_26_41.png.ef82defccc548eecac2c4bd44cb43310.png

Also, using the circle rotation method in Affinity gives you what I can only describe as filaments, which is messy at best.

2135225399_ScreenShot2018-09-14at12_29_12.png.6f460f5f5572fbc4f2c79e580ae9ddaa.png