You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DXF or DWG file import in Affinity Designer

• Staff

That article does say that, but it is not completely accurate, so don't believe it 100% please

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

That article does say that, but it is not completely accurate, so don't believe it 100% please

Aww, but it says stuff that I want to be true. [disappointed sad face emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

I’m confident that this means that you will jump right away to Version 5 of the whole suite. :D 

Best regards!

On 4/20/2022 at 8:02 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Can we believe it for at least 99.99% ? 😉

I do realise that articles may not provide the full details and are often a condensed/summarized version of the actual interview but usually the interviewed person/company gets an opportunity to check and correct things that are flat out incorrect or shouldn't be mentioned at all. That it is in the article is at least an indication that Serif may be seriously looking at/considering implementing dwg/dxf import/export . That is by itself already an improvement.

The one disadvantage with Designer for me was/is that it is too much oriented at creative arts and too little attention for those in e.g. "technical" illustrations in the sense that some useful features (including dwg/dxf import) for the latter group are missing. Hopefully there will be more of a balance in future versions. As it is now I still have to keep other software for one feature or the other that Designer does not (yet) have.

1 hour ago, Arte said:

That it is in the article is at least an indication that Serif may be seriously looking at/considering implementing dwg/dxf import/export .

That article, if my memory of it is accurate, is interviewing someone who does not work at Serif.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

46 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

That article, if my memory of it is accurate, is interviewing someone who does not work at Serif.

This is the part that implies the information of inclusion of support for dwg/dxf import and it being tested is coming from Serif or at least someone working with Serif on this:

"Serif acknowledges that it has done well in AEC over the last few years, gaining traction in many well-known practices and this has been achieved with no focussed marketing.

Realising this trend in AEC adoption has led to the development team holding sessions with practices to get their feedback on features and enhancements to their core capabilities. The inclusion of support for DWG / DXF has come from that engagement and import / export is currently under test."

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 8:02 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Hi! Could you please be a little more vague?

Is this feature on your radar? Any plans at all?

I haven't read through this thread so please forgive me for duplicating but I just wanted to add my voice to those asking for this. I'd like to use this software to add presentation to drawings from CAD but the lack of DXF support is a barrier. Although I can work around this to a degree using PDF exports it would be much better to have DXF. I'd also like to use DXF export for some purposes, again there are work arounds using other software but it remains a barrier. This is a significant snag in my plan to ditch the cursed Adobe. 

Another +1 for dxf import. We'll be needing new software soon to replace an old version of Corel Draw and AD was a likely possibility until I discovered that it has no support for dwg/dxf.. 

Question - is it possible to copy objects in Autocad and use paste or paste special to get them into AD?
This is how I currently get them into CD and into Word. I found that if I draw a box around the area at a known size, make sure that all linetypes are continuous and all polylines have zero width, select the box and everything inside it, I can paste (into Word) or paste special (into CorelDraw) and the objects come through in editable condition. I then just have to explode, select the boundary box and contents (and delete a transparent canvas), size the boundary box, and align it and I have everything to scale and correctly positioned. Sounds more complicated than it is.
Might that be possible in AD?

Sadly, I can't install AD on my work PC(where I have CAD) and I don't have CAD on my home laptop, so I can't test it out.

Edited by Archaeologist
Giving a little more information.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The level of ignorance and disregard on the part of Affinity on this and other topics is baffling. It must be years since anyone from them last commented on this.

Does the company even still exist, or is this already abandonware?

Anyway, not that I'd care much anymore, since I stopped using Affinity a long time ago, in favor of Inkscape.

3 hours ago, David.P said:

It must be years since anyone from them last commented on this.

137 days since the last comment from them, if my maths are correct.

Best regards!

• 1 month later...

I'm SO happy that we have proof that they're at least trying to help us out. Though admittedly a little baffled as to why there's only import and no export ;) but my faith has been renewed. I'm sure DXF export is coming soon, and on that day I'm running back to Designer with open arms. They also added smooth canvas rotation, which is something I've wanted for a long time. Today is awesome!

Has anyone done any extensive testing with Rhino3D layers back and forth with the V2 using either SVG, PDF, or DXF? I am doing some testing today, and I don't see a DXF export in the V2, though import seems work with one layer anyway. If you've already done the legwork, please report the optimal workflow between Affinity Designer V2 and Rhino3D. I need to get 2D geometry from Rhino into V2 and native V2 vectors into Rhino while perserving scale and layers. Please share your workflow if you've got this sorted. Also, McNeel is totally open to sharing and helping with .3DM support for Affinity. 

mcneel.jpg