You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DXF or DWG file import in Affinity Designer

• 2 weeks later...

I would not have purchased Affinity Designer if I had known there is/was/never will be import/export of DFX files, a long-time industry standard.  Seems you keep ignoring these requests.  Please reply, hopefully with an implementation date, else I'll just uninstall and consider wasted $$.

Ok.  So I decided in 2021 that I should really focus and meditate my good will and and intentions for those long standing issues that affect the lives of so many in hopes that we can overcome these things and truly bring about positive changes in a meaningful way in the world around me.  So as I meditate, I think of, and actively pray for these things:

1.  A cure for cancer.

2.  Viable peace plan in the Middle East that is satisfactory and sustainable for the betterment of all sides.

3.  An end to the corona virus epidemic.

4.  An end to world hunger.

5.  The addition of DXF/DXG file import and export capabilities to finally make Affinity Designer a complete solution.

Ok... that's asking for a lot I realize.  But maybe if even just one of those lofty goals could be accomplished in 2021, the world would be a better place, and our days would be a little brighter, and there would be a renewed faith the world over that we as a species can can accomplish anything that we truly and collectively believe in and set our minds to.  People would dance in the streets, and sing the praises of those who succeed in finding the solutions that could bringing about such significant changes that would positively impact so many.

If we could solve just one...

29 minutes ago, Mr Fabulous said:

Ok.  So I decided in 2021 that I should really focus and meditate my good will ...

What an awesome but most of all: smart and intelligent comment!

Although the goals seem extraordinarily high and ambitious, I appreciate the kind of spirit between the lines.

If we all were able to approach things that way, there would be no reason left for wars in this world.

My respect for this kind of contribution. - Thank you.

2 hours ago, umami said:

Still no DXF support in v1.9. Un-f•king-believable. This is like releasing a word processor that won't read .doc files. After more than six years of stalling, can someone from Serif just acknowledge that this isn't on the roadmap so we can move on?

Look up my post history and you'll see that I've been posting to this forum about DXF/DWG support for Designer almost since the first release and I've never gotten any commitment one way or the other, so I think we can safely assume that its NOT on the roadmap, nor will it ever be. It's just not a feature that's interesting to the segment Serif is targeting as users for Designer.

Edit: Designer is an amazing tool with many excellent features and tool. Its most glaring weakness was and is still its very limited ability to export vector-formats. PDF and SVG.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:24 PM, umami said:

Still no DXF support in v1.9. Un-f•king-believable. This is like releasing a word processor that won't read .doc files. After more than six years of stalling, can someone from Serif just acknowledge that this isn't on the roadmap so we can move on?

Hi redline.wolfgang,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Some users already requested support for DXF and/or DWG files.

We are considering adding support for these kind of files in the future.

March 23, 2015 was when they told us they would consider it. Apparently a thread with a six-year life, 284 replies and 46,928 views doesn't show enough interest.

Guess we see how they've decided. Really a shame that this company responds to its user's needs about as well as Adobe and Microsoft does. FFS.

•  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm creating an image of a map of New Zealand for a book I'm publishing. I need to add some terrain relief shading of the mountains etc. I have access to terrain relief shading files online that I can use under a Creative Commons licence but it is available as 445 jpeg files or 445 pdf files that I'd need to stitch together OR one .dwg file .... that I cannot import or open with Affinity software. It's so frustrating because I know I would have been able to import a .dwg file using Adobe Illustrator.

As a landscape architect it was really handy taking existing CAD drawings of a land parcel or project and importing them to Illustrator to use as my base map. I really hope Affinity add .dwg capability to the software soon. It sounds like it has been thrown in the too-hard basket.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying using Publisher, Designer and Photo. So much more affordable than Adobe.

Edited by Outlandish

I work in the field of digital fabrication, I bought Affinity Designer some years ago and i gave up because there wasn't the possibility to select by  thicness and color line, after that was implemented i resarted to use Affinity designer but i gave up one more time because it's not possible to export import dwg and dxf files. i really want to use this software please let me do it.

In just over 2 weeks on the 23rd March this thread will be 6 years old! Pretty old for such a relatively simple but hugely important feature request. I suggest we all mark this by posting a comment on the 23rd March, reaffirming our support for DXF support. Hopefully this will cause a spike on someone’s dashboard and perhaps prompt some action.

DXF/DWG import AND export:

For the group of Architects it is quite important to be able to drag DWG/dxf-files into and out (import AND export) all 3 Affinity  modules, (but at least into Affinity Designer). After 6 years of asking, not even a comment whether this is on any roadmap?! Come on!

well, just to add another me too. Photo and Designer are almost unusable for any architect. I need to finish my presentation and the only way is to start again Illustrator since I cannot get my vector data in and work with them.

and once you're gonna work it out, please add also support for Illustrator plugins. little things like Astute Graphics bundle and CADTools are very helpful and save time.

TIA

This thread is wholly and utterly disheartening.  I've never seen such a groundswell of support for a simple feature by its customers be so dismissed for so long.  What a missed opportunity which makes people rethink their loyalties to a company - shame on Affinity.

Happy Birthday thread. 6 years old today! Come on Affinity, please please add this feature for all the architects, engineers, digital artists, home crafters, etc. out there. If the free and open source Inkscape can do this I am baffled why it is proving such a headache for you to add.