You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DXF or DWG file import in Affinity Designer

14 hours ago, George-Gele said:

I  recieve some designs, in dxf format, be intrested to know how others prepare thier DXF files for import into Affinity Designer. It would be nice if Affinity Designer was able to read in a DXF file export from Autocad or other applications that produce them.  Also if a DWG file could be imported, though I understand that there maybe licensing issues for DWG.

I open DXF in PhotoLine and save it in some other format that Designer can open.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

11 pages. Weekly comments. AFFINITY WHERE ARE YOU AND WHY ARENT YOU LISTENING TO OR ACKNOWLEDGING YOUR CUSTOMERS?‽!

people should migrate to your software in mass if you actually gave a hoot especially since adobe is so god awful you guys have a real decent product mostly. Believe it or not its stuff that the community presses you on that holds you back - we are vocal about it. Whats going on? Is affinity too perfect for criticism? Have you all reached the end of the dev cycle? Are other things more important?

Just got a new ipad. Was considering loading up and buying affinity suite again. Checks this thread. I wont if you guys wont even engage with us on a simple feature requested for years that STILL gets weekly messages. Theres no commitment from you guys so no commitment from me!

MANY FEEL THE SAME, get your crap together affinity!

18 minutes ago, hatch said:

AFFINITY WHERE ARE YOU ...

May I kindly ask you not to shout or yell (by using capital letters) at the company who is hosting this forum. This is offensive. There are other ways to formulate critism. And it certainly does not speed up anything.

Best regards,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 12/5/2020 at 3:34 PM, tnuag said:

Perhaps this is not possible with this program ?

The free and open source Inkscape can support this. There are free online SVG to/from DXF conversion websites that support this. If they can support this for free I am at a loss as to why Affinity cannot build it into their paid for commercial offering. I can get around this limitation using other tools but the whole point of paying for a software package is that it offers more than the free alternatives, not less.

Come on Affinity, this has been going on for far too long. Sort it out!!

3 hours ago, PurpleFish said:

If they can support this for free I am at a loss as to why Affinity cannot build it into their paid for commercial offering. I can get around this limitation using other tools but the whole point of paying for a software package is that it offers more than the free alternatives, not less.

Just because you can buy something doesn't mean you can buy anything you want instantly. Obviously it takes time to implement this feature. And also some thorough thoughts on how to translate and fit the format with AD's capabilities. You have to get around this current limitation 😉  ... at least you know about free alternatives 🙂 .  Stay save.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

4 minutes ago, PurpleFish said:

Given this thread was started over 5 years ago I think you are VERY correct in your statement.

Hi @PurpleFish,

referring to the duration of the discussion about a feature request is very common around here. I have learned over time that such a long discussion is an indication that Serif is aware of the topic (they do read this section of the forum and take notes). That Serif gave this feature a certain priority below all other features that have been published in the meantime (for unknown reasons). And I do assume that they have a very clear and realistic view of what they can and want to accomplish over time.

I believe this forum is the right place to express wishes for certain features and they are valid. It just doesn't work like a wishlist sent to Santa 😉

Cheers,
d.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought AD to replace Corel. Today I found there is no DXF export  for Laser, CNC, CAD, Cutter... Even free Inkscape can do it, it is so basic, I didn't even check before buying AD. Calling local Corel seller for upgrade. Beside some basic missing features (contour - simple implementation), I really like AD for speed. Everything else I can do in Corel, yes, for 15 times more money...

Edited by DKNsi