You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DXF or DWG file import in Affinity Designer

I've been recently working on a technical project that required brand signage to be shown in 3D modelling but neither software I work with can read more than raster images, requiring me to re-vectorise it on the software. If I could be able to export the brand mark to DXF or DWG, that would have at least give me an advantage to properly work it on my 3D software. I would never mind having a separate Affinity software for CAD (Affinity Drafter or Affinity Canvas? who knows) but being able to read/write DXF/DWG files is not only in the intention of turning AfD into a CAD software.

architect student (5/10) · designer · developer · geek
Affinity Publisher 2.1.1 / Affinity Designer 2.1.1 / Affinity Photo 2.1.1
Windows 11 Pro #22H2 / Dell G15 AMD Ryzen 5 32GB RAM

5 hours ago, Lmpessoa said:

I've been recently working on a technical project that required brand signage to be shown in 3D modelling but neither software I work with can read more than raster images, requiring me to re-vectorise it on the software. If I could be able to export the brand mark to DXF or DWG, that would have at least give me an advantage to properly work it on my 3D software. I would never mind having a separate Affinity software for CAD (Affinity Drafter or Affinity Canvas? who knows) but being able to read/write DXF/DWG files is not only in the intention of turning AfD into a CAD software.

Why not export to SVG and import that in your 3d software instead? If your 3d software does not support SVG import, import the SVG in Blender, and save to a common 3d file format, and import that in your 3d software.

On 6/20/2020 at 3:22 PM, Medical Officer Bones said:

Why not export to SVG and import that in your 3d software instead? If your 3d software does not support SVG import, import the SVG in Blender, and save to a common 3d file format, and import that in your 3d software.

I know Blender is free but I don't work with it. Maybe it is time I take a look at it (for various reasons).

architect student (5/10) · designer · developer · geek
Affinity Publisher 2.1.1 / Affinity Designer 2.1.1 / Affinity Photo 2.1.1
Windows 11 Pro #22H2 / Dell G15 AMD Ryzen 5 32GB RAM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Serif Team

please add my request for dxf import to the loooooooong list of names above. I use designer for everything I do and it's frustrating and inefficient to have to go out of app for conversions of dxf files ( which don't work properly half the time!)

please add import/export dxf functionality🙏

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 1:08 PM, pavel-101 said:

Hello,

+1 for dxf and dwg support! As an architect i really need this feature to be able to touch-up drawings created in autodesk software (autocad/revit).

Count me in as well. I am an architecture student and love working in the Affinity suite, first for resisting the urge to convert to subscription and second for the seamless transitioning between programs. 

I am excited for the day I can open a DWG or DXF file without the numerous additional steps to resize and review for mistranslated lines in Inkscape, save as an SVG, import to Publisher, review and resize again. Please let us know when you can prioritize this.

• 4 weeks later...

I would NEVER have bought any affinity software if  I knew this key piece was missing. 

as nice as any of the tools are , its a piece of trash that makes me angry because I cannot do BASIC importing of files.

Frustrated by the lack of options to get vectors into stupid affinity.

• Staff

Hi @hatch,
Welcome to affinity Forums :)
I'm sorry to know you are having trouble with the app. Affinity apps do not support DWG/DXF files (they are not listed in the supported formats section in the product page). If you bought the app recently (within last 14 days) you may be able to request a refund depending on where you have bought the app.

thanks for the help MEB, unfortunately I've been learning affinity a few months, and was just ready to import a BUNCH of files over from another program only to be hit with a hard wall for something that SHOULD work. the .ai and .eps import support is abysmal.

• Staff

EPS is quite an old format and was replaced/overtaken by PDF - it's unlikely we will see improvements here but feel free to attach a sample file for inspection. We do support Ai files as long as they contain the PDF stream in the file (Create PDF Compatible File option must be checked when saving the file in Illustrator), unfortunately third party apps do not include it.

[EDIT] Seems you already posted a couple files on the other thread dealing with the issue here. Better continue there and leave this thread as it's in the Feedback section.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2015 at 6:54 PM, MEB said:

Hi redline.wolfgang,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Some users already requested support for DXF and/or DWG files.

We are considering adding support for these kind of files in the future.

I was very disappointed to find that nothing has happened on this issue despite this having been a much requested feature for more than 5 years now.

I checked back because again I have a large project where I need to deal with DWG and DXF files, and it would be great if I could use Affinity Designer for this.  But now it seems that I have to get a license for a different product to get this job done.  As a long-time customer I find this, as mentioned further up, very disappointing.

-Bjørn

DWG/DXF  import/export please! This is still the most widely used (and will be for the next decade) exchange-format for us architects and our architectural representations (portfolios etc). With  this very overdue exchange-feature (I am still waiting since 2015...!) in Affinity I would be glad to get rid of Illustrator right away. And more important: I could simplify and speed up my whole workflow (back and forth).

Edited by bgspa

I also work with lasercutting machines and need dxf or dwg files for them to work.

In my case, i draw with AD and then export to SVG, load that file to "inkscape" (thats for free) and then export to DXF.

The DXF files that Inkscape exports are very messed up, because the curves are split up in a lot of small lines.

So for that problem i have an amazing tool called "CNC Polyline Reducer", whitch makes radii out of the little lines.

It would be easier if i could handle this hole process with AD, but it works fine for me.

yes yes yes! 

The possibility to import CAD drawings into Affinity Designer without creating zillions of polyline points from perfect Bezier curves and circles is an absolute dream feature. 

I currently use an ancient version of Visio (2003) which has the amazing ability to do exactly that, i.e. remove 99% of the polyline points and converting everything back to pure Bezier perfection. 

Affinity Product Managers, please get moving! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really disappointed this basic feature is still left out and the team is content to ignore such and proclaim it isn't even slated for 2.0. Either this team doesn't care about technical designers/illustrators or they are too small to accommodate anyone beyond a specific segment. I suppose that's the trade-off when moving down from Corel or Adobe.

Years later and this is still not available... I would want DXF export because laser engravers won't take PDF (obviously), also sometimes there is a need to export to 3D CAD software for extruding accurate shapes, and SVG is basically useless in both case because it can't be exported in millemeter unit (so it loses its purpose since the size won't be precise anymore).

• 2 weeks later...

I  recieve some designs, in dxf format, be intrested to know how others prepare thier DXF files for import into Affinity Designer. It would be nice if Affinity Designer was able to read in a DXF file export from Autocad or other applications that produce them.  Also if a DWG file could be imported, though I understand that there maybe licensing issues for DWG.