You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DXF or DWG file import in Affinity Designer

• 2 weeks later...

Hi .. 

I want to share my latest findings which provide a solution for my needs (I have to get data from fusion360 and prepare it for laser cutting)
The finding is that there is a way to export SVG data from fusion360, see here: 

This works pretty good for me on my Mac and I don't depend any longer on the (for Mac users) horrible supported DXF format. So I can use almost every vector drawing application and I'm fine for now. 

One more interesting finding: 

If this is true there is a good chance to get DXF support in a hopefully not so far future! So I will buy now AD in the app shop and hope that DXF support will be added before the SVG export in fusion360 might be dropped.

br J.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not to sound negative, but I don’t think Affinity Designer will get DXF or DWG support any time soon.  It has been years now and this isn’t something that is a priority. How about some crowd funding effort to have someone develop a conversion tool?  Does anyone know of any developers who could do this?

5 hours ago, Borud said:

Not to sound negative, but I don’t think Affinity Designer will get DXF or DWG support any time soon.  It has been years now and this isn’t something that is a priority. How about some crowd funding effort to have someone develop a conversion tool?  Does anyone know of any developers who could do this?

If you're willing to use an external program to do the conversion, Inkscape already exists and is free and cross-platform. It isn't perfect but I'd rather see some effort put into improving Inkscape's DXF import/export support than writing an entirely new program.

I wonder what the hold up is with this?!? A SERIF developer's input into DXF/DWG Import/Export would be more than gratefully received....

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

On 3/23/2015 at 6:54 PM, MEB said:

Some users already requested support for DXF and/or DWG files.

We are considering adding support for these kind of files in the future.

and about 4 years later still no DXF/DWG import. 
Any plans on this. I have to decide to buy at work several licences of Affinity Designer oder Adobe Illustrator and DXF/DWG import is necessary.

• Staff

Hi markus.dages,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We have implemented/improved the program considerably since then with a focus on what's on Designer's roadmap. DXF/DWG is under consideration but as far as i know not for this 1.x cycle.

Note: the roadmap list all features planned for the 1.x cycle of the app. Features already implemented were removed/deleted from the list.

LOL .. So you are telling us that one of the most wanted features will be in Version 2.x and we have to pay again .. Acknowledged!

Holy S*** .. Right now I have seen that Corel Draw is now available for MAC!!!!! Have not tried it, but in the last 20Years while I have been using Windows and therefore CorelDraw, DXF support has never been a problem. Therefore I assume that this will be also true for the 2019 MAC version.

Maybe a new serious competitor might change serif's mind .. if not .. I'm sure there will be a home edition of CD someday ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

The arrival of CorelDraw for mac and the lack of responsiveness from the Affinity dev-team, has tipped the scales in favor of Corel. Our lab just bought 30 edu licenses for our design and prototype lab here at Roskilde University. As a longtime Designer user I had hoped for something else. :-/

The lack of useful file exports for CNC/Laser/CAD makes Designer a poor choice for physical design.

I'm not primarily a user of DXF/DWG (but I've have had it occasionally making a couple drawings to 3D). All I can say is history repeats itself. I've been asking for another file format for a few years already. I feel the Affinity team is focusing too much on core tools, new and innovative tools, and fancy features, instead of crucial file format support. 

Hopefully the wind will turn and our long lost file support will be a thing!! 

• 2 weeks later...

I want to work with "Affinity Designer".  Right now,  I design for cnc with Autocad and Corel and the software of the machines I work with, only read dxf.

All my work (for many years) are with cdr, dwg and dxf and  I will not be able to use "Affinity Designer" until I can import dxf documents. 

So please, please, please!!! :9_innocent:

• 2 weeks later...