You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DXF or DWG file import in Affinity Designer

• 2 weeks later...

+1 I agree with everybody asking for DXF or DWG to be able to import and export (mainly export) it helps massively to be able to convert linework from affinity designer to load into any of the 2D or 3D packages (Vectorworks, Sketchup, Modo, etc). Affinity could even use openDWG alliance to import /export DWG or DXF rather than using Autodesks if they couldn't get Autodesk to support them obviously being able to load the latest DWG is great but even if its just exporting an older version of DXF most packages will be able to load in old DXF's from designer.

Please please let this be in one of the newer releases.

P.s I can not wait for Affinity Publisher will be trying to get all our CC licenses switched to entire Affinity product line as I love both designer and photo and if we get publisher I would be over the moon to replace indesign and if we can have this DWG / DXF conversion we won't need to keep even 1 seat of Adobe CC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, filipejsbrandao said:

Please implement DWG import! It is the only reason I keep needing to go back to Illustrator. 

You can get quite passable DWG import by printing DWG to PDF (for example with DraftSight) and opening that in AD.

So far though I have not found any reasonable way getting DWG out of AD vectors.

Hi .. 

Im a Mac user and need a vector graphic editor which is able to IMPORT dxf files generated by fusion360 to create a layout and edit line colors. Finally I have to save the result as svg for my local hobby store which has a laser cutter. 

I really would like to buy the Designer, but currently it does not make sense for me. Please add dxf file support, there are so many user demanding this function! My alternatives are Illustrator or EazyDraw :-(

Is there a roadmap regarding dxf support?

br J.

Hello!

To confirm:

In the field of architecture, people use Illustrator's DWG/DXF import/export frequently - in the architectural office I work in since recently, it's the same.

DWG/DXF, are industry standards, and will remain so for many years. Implementing those will open the doors to the world of architectural graphics some more - it's in your interest! Don't filter down your target group to graphic designers/illustrators only.

At home, I have replaced Adobe by Affinity. Would love to see this happening in the office, too, one day.

And forget about PDF workarounds.

Thanks!!

@Tupaia: I think it can't be explained better ;-) .. but im afraid that the lack of understanding is not the problem at affinity.

I think they will put all efforts in developing the Publisher and as long they sell enough Designer licenses they will not put reasonable effort in features like this! Never the less .. If you sort the form by posts or number of views this topic is always in the top 10, so maybe we will get this feature some day.

I ask myself how many people doing a research on dxf support ending up here, and how many of them are leaving a reply .. that ratio wold be very intersting.

So please, everyone who's interested in dxf support should leave a reply here to show affinity how many users are desperately waiting for this feature!

br J.

I need this feature too.

Just yesterday after exporting DXG from fusion 360, I was excited to use Affinity for inspecting the lines for laser-cutting operations.  Alas, it was not supported, and I no longer have an Adobe illustrator subscription...

On 3/23/2015 at 6:54 PM, MEB said:

Hi redline.wolfgang,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Some users already requested support for DXF and/or DWG files.

We are considering adding support for these kind of files in the future.

Any news from your side MEB?? Three yers habe been gone in the meanwhile ;-)