You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very simple but useful feature requirements

Hi all, I am slowly switching to Designer after years of using CorelDRAW and I am thus finding all these great features in CDR that I would love to have in Affinity suite that speed up workflow. I may add more but here's one. In CDR, if I am using a tool such as a the Text tool (or any other) the tool pick is 'sticky' so, if I click and type a word then click somewhere else I can type another word (it doesn't act as a one off tool, if you see what I mean, so I can type as many text elements/draw as many boxes etc as I want. On the other hand, pressing Ctrl+space takes me directly to the select (pick) tool so I can move things about. Hitting Ctrl+space again takes me back to the last used tool. This is incredibly useful for moving between a tool and the pick tool at speed. Could this be incorporated?

The other one I love in CDR is this. If I left click on a swatch it will fill the selected item. If I right click on a swatch it will apply the color as an outline. This too is genius! Could we maybe have that too? 

Affinity is so much faster and smoother than CDR and I want to use it for everything so I want to slowly make you make it like CDR! 

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Phil

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

1. The text tool does seem to act slightly differently from other tools in Affinity, (where a second click begins a new object). The first click starts some text, a second click stops /deselects the text, a third click starts the next text. 

2. Pressing v will take you to the select tool. A second press will return you to which ever tool you were using previously. 

3. Right click to select stroke color was taken from Xara when Corel bought them out. I agree it is a great feature. It has been requested a couple of times before, and at one point there was tentative approval from the devs. 

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

7 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

2. Pressing v will take you to the select tool. A second press will return you to which ever tool you were using previously. 

I think pressing v types the letter 'v' with the Text Tool enabled ;)

You first have to press ESC and then v to switch from the Text Tool to the Move Tool. Pressing t switches back to the Text Tool.

(Note: I may be wrong because I'm not at my Affinity computer right now).

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

6 hours ago, dominik said:

I think pressing v types the letter 'v' with the Text Tool enabled ;)

I do end up with quite a lot of spurious 'v's in my documents :(

Having first pressed Esc,  v will toggle between selection tool and text tool as originally described.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

3 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

Having first pressed Esc,  v will toggle between selection tool and text tool as originally described.

Back at my Affinity computer...

Yes, v toggles between Selection Tool and Text Tool and lets you instantly type into a textframe. This is not perfect but close to @Phil_rose's request.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Oh wow, you guys and guyettes made my day! The V thing, while not perfect, is really great. Thanks a lot. Now, the right click on a swatch... that would still be great.

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

1 hour ago, Phil_rose said:

Now, the right click on a swatch... that would still be great.

I tend to support that request :)

d.

3 hours ago, Phil_rose said:

Oh wow, you guys and guyettes made my day! The V thing, while not perfect, is really great. Thanks a lot. Now, the right click on a swatch... that would still be great.

in affinity right click on a swatch is now set up to open a menu with options for that swatch, 

so i guess you have to get used to pressing X

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma