You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So I took a bunch of bracketed shots (five photo sets) and was converting them to HDR using Photo on my Mac on site (so people could see kinda what they looked like), its a, I think, early 2012 model, it WAS the top spec rMBP when they first came out so its not as much of a donkey as it might sound, but it was churning through the HDR merge and tone map fine, but to do my main editing I have a PC at home which is a 1700X Ryzen with 32gb DDR 4 and an NVMe SSD, not earth shattering, but decent. When I do the same exact HDR merge process on photo on my PC, its slower, like, noticeably slower, now I am assuming there is something wrong, like a setting or something somewhere that I have set wrong (I generally don't mess with settings though so pretty sure everything is default), surely there is no comparison in power between the two machines, but yet it takes longer on the more powerful one?

Am I the only one who a) bothered to get affinity on both pc and mac and b) noticed this?

Any tips?

Cheers

Charles

It might help if you ran the PC task manager whilst the HDR is running, and the equivalent on the mac. Let us know memory and cpu usage.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• Staff

Hi CharlesGreig,

If you start up Affinity and do a HDR merge, is the 1st merge any quicker?  I notice you have a number of files open, are they all HDR merges?  If you close them and start a new merge, is that any quicker?

If you'd like to upload the files used to our Dropbox, i'll be happy to do some testing 

you are correct, I do have some others open, but not THAT many, and yeah, this was a particularly slow one, I put that down to running OBS to capture the video. I will upload the files once I've actually done the work ( or I will be in trouble )

@John Rostron I might do that after I've got things done, but at points you can see the 'memory pressure and memory efficiency' in the video (the memory pressure never gets to 100%), I am guessing thats effectively letting us know about the memory usage - I'll do one on the mac once I'm done though.

• Staff
1 hour ago, CharlesGreig said:

I don't think they are the same exact photos as the one in my video, but I have uploaded a five photo bracket like that from the video (same shoot etc).

That's fine, as long as they are from the same camera is the main thing.  I'm not with my Windows machine in the office until Monday but will do some testing between that and the Mac i  have, which is of a simlaur spec the Macbook you have.    

Do you happen to notice if the 1st merge is quick and then slowly gets slower the more you do and have open in Photo?

Hi @stokerg, it definitely slows down the more you have open, but I tried just doing one at a time and it is still painfully slow, I had to do ~40 HDR images (my first time really using Photo for anything work related) and it took SO much time to just put them together let alone edit them. Its also a bit of a bummer (though not an actual issue with the software not working as I would expect) that you can't like 'cancel' out of it, I accidentally started the process of some muffed shots where I ended up snapping a random shot of the floor or something and then had to wait for the merge to fully complete before I could cancel out of it.

I also tried restarting both the app and the computer after doing one to see if the next would be much quicker, it wasn't really and whilst opening a bunch of them did slow it down, just one seemed a lot slower than I'd expect.

I mean, the Lumix G80 isn't doing THAT high resolution shots either, I dread to think how something banging out 40mp images might fair.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help resolve this as I love my Affinity products but this is a bit of a bummer.

• Staff
3 hours ago, CharlesGreig said:

I also tried restarting both the app and the computer after doing one to see if the next would be much quicker, it wasn't really and whilst opening a bunch of them did slow it down, just one seemed a lot slower than I'd expect.

Can you do a screen recording of just 1 image being merged with nothing else open, in Affinity. I Just want to see how long that takes and i'll have something to show to the Dev team.  

In my tests on my Windows PC, the merge completed and was in Tone Mapping in 2 minutes and 20 seconds.  I was able to half this if i 1st converted the RAW images to JPG and then carried out a merge.

Hi @stokerg - I have included a video of the process, would it be beneficial to also include a recording of my old laptop doing it for comparison?

I think the time to process was around 2 mins, which seems slow when compared to a much less powerful mac.

I am totally happy to accept that maybe it just takes this long, I just don't understand the slow down when you have a couple of others open nor how an aged laptop can do better than a modern pc, it is what it is though and if this is expected behavior, then its expected behavior and I will just have to figure something else out.

Thanks for your time.

Charles

Hi @stokerg I have done a comparison on the mac - I didn't have OBS running so I threw on spotify to put some aditional stuff going on (quicktime doesn't record the system audio apparently - lucky for you guys if you're not fans of Post Malone ).

You can see that it completes roughly 30 seconds faster and it also doesn't interrupt the playing audio etc like it does on the PC?

Something seems pretty strange to me with that surely?

Cheers

Charles

• Staff

Thanks for the videos.  I'll see what i can find out tomorrow, personally i'd expect the merge to be quicker on the system you have BUT i don't know what's happening in the background.  With more images open, i can understand it would get slower, as each image will be loaded into memory and they will be large images.  I'll see what i can find out tomorrow, if one of the Dev team don't spot this before hand.

On a side note, as for Post Malone i'm sure a couple of the guys in the office listen to his stuff.  I've never really given him much time myself, but if you can recommend an album, please do and i'll check him out. I'm always happy to give any style of music a listen.  Currently on a punk thing with Veruca Salt and The Slaves BUT having said that the new Orbital album is amazing. So much music and not enough time...

i'll report back tomorrow with what i can find out about the merge process and expected results :) 

Hey @stokerg , Did you get anywhere with this?

Post Malone is a strange one, I don't really know what genre I'd put him in (nothing like Orbital, which I am also very much into also), but I quite like the chilled feel to most his tunes, there is a definite style though that if you are not into, you wont find much deviation across the two albums. I think I prefer Stoney to his new one, but I can listen to either. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Charles,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. 

If you time from the point of you clicking okay in both videos, the Mac completes the merge in 1 minute 45 and the Windows version is roughly about 5 seconds slower than the Mac, so it's not a great deal of difference between the two.  The skipping music i suspect will be down to us using as much of the CPU as possible as we rely heavily on using the CPU for most of what Affinity does and Affinity Photo will use more to generate the effects and live filter layers ect.  I'd always suggest trying the latest beta from the beta section as has had a number of improvements in a number of areas.

hi @stokerg thanks for the reply, 

It's not so much that the times are similar, its that one is a laptop from 2013 and the other is a relatively beefy PC running on a fairly high spec Ryzen CPU NVMe SSD and with 32gb Ram form 2018 and the old Mac is 5 seconds faster, there is a LOT more CPU in the PC to be used, which is why I was confused.

Thanks

Charles