You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any plans for a Movie Editor?

Have Serif any plans for a replacement for Movie Plus?  I am a satisfied user of Movie Plus, which I may one day have to replace as technology moves on and would like to see another Serif product which is even better.  It is extremely responsive, and sufficiently feature-rich to keep me happy.  I recently downloaded a competing product from a European company and it is awful - slow responses, poor range of transitions, no fancy titling styles - just not worthy of consideration.  So please, Serif, bring back Movie Plus!!  My recent YouTube Videos (same ID as this forum) are all made with Movie Plus.

5 hours ago, GFDBILL said:

So please, Serif, bring back Movie Plus!!  My recent YouTube Videos (same ID as this forum) are all made with Movie Plus.

Hello @GFDBILL,

and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to answer your first post here with a not so good message. The question for a movie editing software in the line of Affinity has been asked before and has been answered several times my Seriif's staff. There are currently no plans for such a program.

E.g. see here:

I hope you find some other program that can be of use for you.

Cheers :)
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am also a fan and longtime user of MoviePlus. 

I was doing a Google search to see if anyone had copies of X6 for sale, apparently not. Wish Serif would add it to the $19.95 discontinued products for sale list. I have adopted Magix Movie Studio Platinum v15 (Vegas) as an alternative. It shares many common elements but MoviePlus seems friendlier with a more elegant user interface, in my opinion.   There are lots of additional features in the Magix Studio suite - like producing 'movie' DVD's complete with DVD player compatible menuing systems and audio music production software, but it also retails for correspondingly more. I got lucky buying an older version of Vegas on a download for relatively cheap, then getting an upgrade offer of $99 when I registered the older Vegas v14 to upgrade to the Platiunum Suite v15 version.  For near-studio quality video production, Vegas offers  extra stuff and effects, etc. etc. but for knocking out a simple YouTube or short video to host on your website - MoviePlus offers a gentle learning curve and an easier path between step 1 and your objective;  I still fire it up and use it for quick and dirty projects. 

Sincerely,
Gordon

• 4 months later...

Hi @GFDBILL, I think that you should look for an alternative as there are other softwares that offer similar features as Movie Plus. I would personally recommend Shotcut (if you're looking for something that is free) or Adobe Premiere Pro if you're ready to spend some money and need a professional grade software. You can refer this article to read about some other cool softwares which may serve your purpose. Go to - https://beebom.com/15-best-video-editing-software/

• 3 months later...

I echo the call for the return of Movieplus, or a compatible Affinity successor. I have searched high and low for a low cost hobbyist/enthusiast video editor as user friendly yet versatile as MPX6, and so far they are all inferior. For instance, the famous Davinci (basic version) can't work with AVCHD or MP4! I still use MPX6 for everything, and would gladly purchase subsequent versions. I purchased (at least) Movieplus 5, X5 and X6, and Pageplus 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12 and X4 - and used them constantly through the late 90s and 2000s, up to the present day 2019. Am still using them all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 6:43 PM, captainw said:

For instance, the famous Davinci (basic version) can't work with AVCHD or MP4

Whilst Davinci Resolve (15) can't export .mts (AVCHD) format videos, it can indeed import them and it can also import .MP4 video files.  It can also export both .mov and .mp4 videos, as well as other formats.

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

On 11/12/2019 at 3:54 AM, Greyfox said:

Whilst Davinci Resolve (15) can't export .mts (AVCHD) format videos, it can indeed import them and it can also import .MP4 video files.  It can also export both .mov and .mp4 videos, as well as other formats.

For sake of completeness: Resolve will not export mp4 on Linux, but it will on Mac or Windoze.  It won't export AVCHD on any platform, but as indicated, will import both on any of the three platforms.

However, these formats are not particularly great for editing, and performance is likely to suffer if trying to edit directly using these formats.  If these are the input formats you should consider generating proxy media from within Resolve before editing so that the performance impact during editing is minimized.

Blender is not likely to support AVCHD out of the box due to patent issues, not sure about HitFilm offhand.  I would expect it to be supported by iMovie.

That said, this discussion is a bit beyond the scope of this forum...

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize that this may not be entirely themed, but what about Movavi Video Editor 2020 or an older version? It would be great if you signed a contract with them or something, in that case, maybe the price would have changed, but the quality is clearly worth it. I used these products and they are really good! I think it would be good to take a quality product from the outside. Most importantly, firms must be able to agree. In any case, if Serif will not solve this issue, then you can try it yourself))

Edited by Tremble
Completed the text, attached a link.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...