You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

¿How to find the rotation centre of a equilateral triangle created by the Poligon Tool?

• 4 years later...

This question was never resolved and I actually have the same issue. Is there any way to set the real center of the triangle as the transformation origin? As far as I'm aware that would be the only way to do a proportional scaling with reference. The scaling should happen around the real center of the triangle instead of the center of the bounding box

38 minutes ago, DiegoBM said:

This question was never resolved and I actually have the same issue. Is there any way to set the real center of the triangle as the transformation origin? As far as I'm aware that would be the only way to do a proportional scaling with reference. The scaling should happen around the real center of the triangle instead of the center of the bounding box

What about this one:

1. First create the equilateral triangle.

2. Create a straight exact vertical line from its top corner to the middle of its base line. Change the tool to end this step.

3. Click on both layers in the Layers Panel, holding the Shift- key, to select both.

4. Rotate the triangle and the straight line, holding the Shift-key, so that another edge becomes the baseline.

5 Draw a second straight vertical line from the top corner to the base.

6. Repeat it with the last edge.

The intersection of the three straight lines should be the rotation center. Place the rotation point there.

Thank you @iconoclast that's exactly how I did it before, what I meant though is if there is any option in Affinity designer to move the transformation origin to the real center of the triangle without needing to do all that. Some sort of context menu option, or button.

Note: In cases like this, scripting capabilities would solve the day big time...

4 hours ago, iconoclast said:

6. Repeat it with the last edge.

The intersection of the three straight lines should be the rotation center. Place the rotation point there.

The third straight line will intersect at the same point as the first two, so it isn’t needed.

4 hours ago, DiegoBM said:

what I meant though is if there is any option in Affinity designer to move the transformation origin to the real center of the triangle without needing to do all that

Couldn’t you establish the centre by using a three-pointed star, suitably adjusted?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

26 minutes ago, DiegoBM said:

I was using the triangle tool, my mistake. Not very intuitive though that the option to create equilateral triangles is not under the very specific "triangle" tool.

For the Triangle Tool switch to the Point Transform Tool and snap the center point to the smaller geometric center point.
Then you can use that tool to resize OR go back to the Move Tool. (Or even go back to the Triangle tool to some extent: size changes not parametric skewing)

1418248787_ScreenShot2022-12-19at4_52_36PM.png.5b9ea1d49db909fb281b183d6e6f0690.png