You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy/Paste from Affinity iPad apps to other apps

It would be really nice/helpful to be able to copy/paste graphics, elements, etc from Affinity Designer (and Photo) and paste them into other iPad apps (Linea, Procreate, etc) in the same way that you can copy/paste clippings, layers, etc from those apps into Affinity Designer (and Photo) on the iPad. Currently other apps tend not to recognise anything from Affinity apps on the clipboard.

• 2 years later...

Just bumping this request up again as I find it's increasingly becoming a source of frustration.

On the iPad I typically work with Linea, Procreate, Pixaki, Affinity Designer/Photo (as well as Keynote, Pages, etc) and more recently Illustrator and Fresco (don't ask about their copy/paste support).

I often will create a sketch or element in one application and then copy/paste into another app. Being able to quickly select, copy objects to, and paste objects from the OS clipboard is a fundamental OS interaction, and easily enables interoperability between applications. With most apps performing this action is as straight forward as you would expect. Select. Copy. Switch app. Paste (from clipboard). In Affinity apps it requires you to rasterize, select (and isolate to a new layer if you only want one object and not the whole layer/document) and then go into the export menu, remember to select selection without background', then share, then copy. I typically have to repeat this process a few times to get the results I want as I often either end up with the whole document, or the wrong portion of the document.

Being able to simply copy (like you would in the app itself) and paste into any other application via the default system clipboard would be game changing.

It is an issue also on Windows - a major showstopper for a program with so few vector features where I have to use additional programs to make certain changes.

Well... Had to. Moved on.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just bumping this again as I find using the clipboard (copy/paste) with Affinity apps on the iPad absolutely infuriating. Not only can't you copy/paste from Affinity apps to other apps (you have to 'Export…' as explained above), but copy/pasting into Affinity apps from other apps (including other Affinity apps) isn't even consistent. For instance in Affinity Photo we get a 'Pasteboard' submenu in the '…' menu which contains active paste options (the expected, if not overly complicated behaviour). Meanwhile in Affinity Designer there is no 'Pasteboard' submenu, instead the clipboard options are displayed directly in the '…' menu, and are not active despite having something on the clipboard—which unexpectedly can actually be placed by long-pressing on the canvas and selecting 'paste' from the pop-up menu.

Any chance we might one day see a consistent user experience between your own applications?