You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thanks for letting users get a first impression of Affinity Publisher at this early stage (1.7.0.58 on Windows 7, 64 bit, German). And since this a bug forum, I just report basic bugs or strange behaviour, but not the good stuff:

1. Page Up + Page Down keys don't work:
    Independent of the number of pages, the magnification, or whether or not an object or some text is selected, the PgUp/PgDn keys don't do anything. It would be nice to have them work properly, e.g., as in PagePlus...
  2. Unintuitive ruler subdivisions:
    This is valid for all Affinity programs, but I didn't bother to mention this until now: The ruler subdivisions are sometimes unintuitive and difficult to interpret. In the attached screenshot 'rulers.png' with mm rulers, there are 20 subdivisions from 40 to 60, which is wonderful. Unfortunately, every fourth tick is longer than the others, letting you easily see the not-so-often wanted and rather unimportant numbers 44, 48, 52 and 56. It would be much nicer if the longer ticks were also distributed in 1-2-5 distances, in this case 20 subdivisions as before, but every fifth tick longer, to show the much more important numbers 45, 50 and 55.
    rulers.png.a2a74ca8c8325ac0da1966d1c6c879b2.png
  3. Missing 'Actual size' zoom:
    The help pages claim that some 'Actual size zoom' popup would be available in the document setup for pixel and point document units, but I could never see anything like that.
  4. Optical alignment edit fields buggy:
    In the 'Edit text style' dialog, the optical alignment can be defined in a style similar to PagePlus (fine). Unfortunately, all the 'Right' edit fields don't work properly: The percentage one enters there is properly used for the text style (fine), but, after pressing Enter or focusing a different edit field, the entered percentage is divided by 100, rounded and then displayed. This then shows only one of the two choices '0%' or '1%' (numbers up to 49 are rounded to 0, numbers from 50 onwards are rounded to 1). The previously entered value is still properly used for the text style, but the user cannot see that in the edit field any more.
  5. 'Ignore space for same styles' not fully memorised:
    In the 'Edit text style' dialog, the spacing setting 'Ignore space for same styles' is not correctly memorised. After closing the dialog and opening it again, it always shows up 'greyed', independent of the selected state when closing the dialog with OK.
  6. Decoration buttons undecipherable:
    In the 'Edit text style' dialog, all the 'decoration' buttons show an image that is either misleading or unintelligible: The first four show a grey fill (but are not used for the fill) and the position of the lines is more or less invisible (at least for me), and the fifth shows a border, but no fill (this is used for the fill, but not the borders). Very confusing. The images should better be self-explanatory, as in the attached picture 'decorations.png'.
    decorations.png.100c83bb3678adae94edb4ad7337bba2.png

With best regards,
Andreas Weidner

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @anweid,

Apologise for the delayed reply. 

1. Quote

Page Up + Page Down keys don't wor

In Publisher, you have to use them with "CTRL". So, CTRL + PgUP and CTRL + PGDN . You can always change this in Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > Choose Layout in the first Dropdown menu, and Document in the second Dropdown. 

2. On 9/12/2018 at 10:40 PM, anweid said:

Unintuitive ruler subdivisions:

We have got the same rulers on all our Apps. I suggest you post this in our Feature requests. 

3. On 9/12/2018 at 10:40 PM, anweid said:

Missing 'Actual size' zoom:

You can find this in View > Actual size (CTRL + 8)

4. On 9/12/2018 at 10:40 PM, anweid said:

Optical alignment edit fields buggy:

I have logged this as a bug. 

5. On 9/12/2018 at 10:40 PM, anweid said:

'Ignore space for same styles' not fully memorised:

I could not reproduce this in the latest build. 

6. On 9/12/2018 at 10:40 PM, anweid said:

Decoration buttons undecipherable:

I suggest you make a separate thread with #2 and #6 https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/65-discussions-and-suggestions-for-affinity-publisher-beta-on-desktop/

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Thanks for the info. Some additional comments, though:

• Item 1: It is nice to know that I can change that with the keyboard shortcut dialog, and I did so immediately. Wonderful! But why does the user have to use CTRL by default? Every other program uses the intuitive PdPn / PgUp without CTRL...
  • Item 3: Yes, but I didn't mean that. What I meant was an entry in your help pages (see screenshot): This claims that the 'Document Setup' dialog contains a so-called 'Actual size zoom' pop-up menu for documents with pixel or point units. I haven't found that pop-up menu in that dialog. I myself don't need that function, anyway, but I thought I should mention it because the help pages mention it, and I couldn't find it. Either that feature should be implemented (because it appears in the help pages), or it should be removed from the help.
  • Item 5: Yes, this bug seems to have disappeared in the meantime. Thanks.
  • Items 2+6: I'll post this in the other forum.

Andreas Weidner

HelpScreen.png

• Staff
On 10/5/2018 at 8:53 PM, anweid said:

Item 3: Yes, but I didn't mean that. What I meant was an entry in your help pages (see screenshot): This claims that the 'Document Setup' dialog contains a so-called 'Actual size zoom' pop-up menu for documents with pixel or point units. I haven't found that pop-up menu in that dialog. I myself don't need that function, anyway, but I thought I should mention it because the help pages mention it, and I couldn't find it. Either that feature should be implemented (because it appears in the help pages), or it should be removed from the help.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Actual zoom is present on the Document Setup window: 

image.png

I see that it is present on your screen, but not on mine... I checked on all 3 pages 'Colour', 'Layout' and 'Bleed', and also all available document units...

Does anything else need to be enabled/setup/provided to show this pop-up box? If yes, it should be mentioned in the help pages.

Andreas Weidner

NoActualSize.png

• Staff

Are you definitely running the latest build? https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/69225-affinity-publisher-public-beta-170139-140-mac/

You do not need to do anything else to have this option. It's there by default.

He is on Windows 7. Means this option is definitely not there, even in the latest beta. Maybe the hint for Apple-only is missing in the help document?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff
17 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

He is on Windows 7. Means this option is definitely not there, even in the latest beta. Maybe the hint for Apple-only is missing in the help document?

I'm afraid that's not true. The option is there regardless of the OS version. If your project was initially using a unit other than Pixel or Point, you would have to first open the Document Setup and set the units to Pixel or Points, OK the window, and open it up again. Now the "Actual Size" option is present. 

16 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

I'm afraid that's not true. The option is there regardless of the OS version. If your project was initially using a unit other than Pixel or Point, you would have to first open the Document Setup and set the units to Pixel or Points, OK the window, and open it up again. Now the "Actual Size" option is present. 

I have Windows 10 with the latest version of APublisher. Document Setup with Document Unit set on pixels doesn't have the zoom choice.

Document Setup.jpg

Publisher Version.jpg

My original message was describing version 1.7.0.58 on Windows 7 (64bit, German). My latest screenshot was taken with version 1.7.0.139. Checking further, I found the culprit, which is the dialog for the creation of a new document (attached):

• Here, you can choose a document type. I myself always choose 'Print' here. If you do this, there's no actual size zoom popup menu available. If you choose any of 'Web', 'Devices' or 'Presets', the dialog gets a bit larger, and the zoom selection appears.
  • The same is valid later with the Document Setup dialog. If you previously chose a 'Print' type document, the zoom selection is not available.
  • Unfortunately, it seems that it is not possible to change the document type at any later time, only once in the 'New Document' dialog, and then you're stuck with that selection.

It would be nice if

• either the document type could also be changed at any later time with the 'Document Setup' dialog,
  • or there was a hint in the help pages that the 'Actual Size Zoom' option is only visible for the above mentioned three document types.

Andreas Weidner

NewDocument.png

NewDocument2.png

• Staff
7 minutes ago, anweid said:

or there was a hint in the help pages that the 'Actual Size Zoom' option is only visible for the above mentioned three document types.

This is already mentioned in the help file.

• 'Actual Size' Zoom—Sets the device which is mimicked when presenting the document at 'Actual Size' (from the View menu). This option is only available when the document units are set to Pixel or Points. Select from the pop-up menu.

image.png

For any suggestions, it's best if you create a new thread here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/65-discussions-and-suggestions-for-affinity-publisher-beta-on-desktop/  , as this is dedicated to bugs. 

And again, I need to point out that from the beginning on, I did use pixel and point units, and the popup menu did not show up. This was because I was not using the 'New Document' dialog, but the 'Document Setup' dialog, which unfortunately are not equivalent and do not behave the same, which is rather confusing. Now that I myself know what the problem is, let me hopefully be as clear as possible:

• As I now know, the 'New Document' dialog is correct in all respects (at the time of my first complaint, I didn't realise that): Independent of the document type, as soon as I select pixels or points as units, the 'actual size zoom' popup correctly appears, and immediately disappears when I select any other unit. Fine - wonderful.
  • But the 'Document Setup' dialog does not work properly this way: Here, the visibility of the 'actual size zoom' popup does not depend on the unit currently selected in the dialog itself, but on the selection made previously in the 'New Document' dialog. This means that a) if I select pixel units in the 'New Document' dialog, the 'actual size zoom' will always be visible in the 'Document Setup' dialog, independent of the unit I select there, and b) if I select millimeter units in the 'New Document' dialog, the 'actual size zoom' will never be visible in the 'Document Setup' dialog, independent of the unit I select there.
  • The visibility of the 'actual size zoom' popup in the 'Document Setup' dialog is not updated while this dialog is shown, but only after it is closed and opened again. The help pages, on the other hand, give a description of the (correct) behaviour of the 'New Document' dialog.

It would be nice if both dialogs would behave exactly the same way, meaning as the 'New Document' dialog already behaves.

And, just in case I still haven't explained properly, or you begin to think I'm imagining things, I attach a video with the following features:

1. Before the video starts, I created a 'New Document' with millimeter units. Now the video starts, and I open the 'Document setup'.
  2. Independent of the unit there, no 'actual size zoom' is visible. I select pixel unitand close the dialog with OK.
  3. I open the dialog again. Now, 'actual size zoom' is always visible, even if I select meter units.

If the problem is still not clear, I declare myself beaten and give up - this is a function that I myself don't need, anyway...

Andreas Weidner

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2018 at 9:53 PM, anweid said:

Thanks for the info. Some additional comments, though:

• Item 1: It is nice to know that I can change that with the keyboard shortcut dialog, and I did so immediately. Wonderful! But why does the user have to use CTRL by default? Every other program uses the intuitive PdPn / PgUp without CTRL... 
  • Item 3: Yes, but I didn't mean that. What I meant was an entry in your help pages (see screenshot): This claims that the 'Document Setup' dialog contains a so-called 'Actual size zoom' pop-up menu for documents with pixel or point units. I haven't found that pop-up menu in that dialog. I myself don't need that function, anyway, but I thought I should mention it because the help pages mention it, and I couldn't find it. Either that feature should be implemented (because it appears in the help pages), or it should be removed from the help.
  • Item 5: Yes, this bug seems to have disappeared in the meantime. Thanks.
  • Items 2+6: I'll post this in the other forum.

Andreas Weidner

HelpScreen.png

Item 1: I agree, I was looking for why it does not work, it was looking like a mistake.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.