You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Table Text Tool Pasting & Linking Data

It would be great if the Table Text Tool would support pasting of data (they are usually tab separated) from a spreadsheet like Google Sheets oder Microsoft Excel. At the moment this is not possible and leads to a huge amount of work to create e.g. offers.

Another, more advanced feature would be to link an existing spreadsheet table or at least CSV data directly to the Table Text Tool.

What do you think about it?

Copying & pasting from an Excel spreadsheet seems to work okay as long as you select a column, a row, or a cell before pasting. Importing a CSV or text file would be nice for the future. Linking sounds like a distant possibility.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

No it does not work on Mac OSX with Excel and Google Sheets, I tried it again right now. Or could you give me a more detailed explanation? What I want is to copy multiple cells to the table, so I don't have to copy paste every single cell into the table. 

• 7 months later...
On 9/13/2018 at 6:12 AM, cansik said:

No it does not work on Mac OSX with Excel and Google Sheets, I tried it again right now. Or could you give me a more detailed explanation? What I want is to copy multiple cells to the table, so I don't have to copy paste every single cell into the table. 

I was running into this same problem. Someone mentioned elsewhere that some apps code spreadsheets differently. So I downloaded the Google Spreadsheet as an XLSX file, then opened it with Libre Office. Only then was I able to get it to paste into individual cells, instead of everything in one cell.

Libre Office is free to use. Try that to open the spreadsheet and then copy and paste. The fact that you cannot paste directly from Google Spreadsheets, when I know other apps that do not have this problem, seems to be an element that needs to be addressed on Affinity's side - and apparently specifically for Macs as well?

• 2 months later...

Other apps might code spreadsheets different, but they can clearly paste Excel data with no problems.

Seems like you need to select more than one cell in Publisher to let it know you want to paste into a range (See response from dev Adam W at the boeeom)

Edited by BobFossil

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 4:45 AM, BobFossil said:

Other apps might code spreadsheets different, but they can clearly paste Excel data with no problems.

Seems like you need to select more than one cell in Publisher to let it know you want to paste into a range (See response from dev Adam W at the boeeom)

I just found this out accidentally earlier! See video at the bottom of this thread:

This is not obvious (to me at least) as I just stumbled into the solution earlier today (and I was using it during beta). I went as far as finding a clipboard metadata viewer to report a bug with details on  the different data types Windows can paste as... then accidentally got it working.