You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Borders on Text Frames and Objects

Please add the option to add borders around a text frame or objects.

As of now, Affinity Publisher has no way to add a border around a text frame or an object (a square, elliptic, a "placed" picture, etc)... or at least, I have not been able to find where that is enabled.

In the end, I used to layers, or two objects to simulate a border... but this is not what I'm asking.  This awesome program, AP, already does everything else so intuitively that I can't wrap around my head as to why it doesn't do borders around objects, any objects.

If this option is there, please, can you point the location, if not, can you please add this option?  This option is a must for desktop publishing.  Even word processors (Word, WP, etc.) have been doing this for decades... I mean, right-click on a text frame or object and then show the option to set the width of a "frame/border" and that's it... you are done.

11 hours ago, LFTV said:

As of now, Affinity Publisher has no way to add a border around a text frame or an object (a square, elliptic, a "placed" picture, etc)... or at least, I have not been able to find where that is enabled.

Try View/Studio/Text Frame for text. For pictures I'd prefer to add the frame first, then Insert inside the selection button on the top right of the screen. That way makes it easy to change the frame and picture size/cropping.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

• 3 months later...

View/Studio/Text Frame does provide some basic capabilities. InDesign CS 5 (I don't know about later versions) gives similar capabilities, just approached a little differently. QuarkXpress includes some border frame designs, which can produce a variety of nice frame options. I have used Affinity Designer to create more of a custom frame and imported it into Publisher, but I don't want to spend a lot of time creating this sort of thing. Does Publisher have, or will it have, provisions for extensions?

Border.afdesign

On 9/13/2018 at 9:35 AM, MickRose said:

That way makes it easy to change the frame and picture size/cropping.

"Easy" is definitely not the word I would describe handling with Picture Frames right now - especially if you want to crop.

Sorry, but I feel hard triggered by this statement. Currently there are two different move tools for images, by moving and image you don't see the image frames borders and there is no option to constrain movement. There is just a snapping with one of the tools, but it fails on rotated images. Currently there is nothing "easy" about that.

</rant>

Sorry, I mean no offense and I'm aware this is a beta. I just placed about 100 photos in a document using that function and feel a lot of room for improvement here. And yes, I did this stress to myself: I commited myself to a tight project schedule and have to deliver using the current beta.

Edited by Steps

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471