You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Visually edit tabs

Says it all - I;d like a way to visually edit tabs e.g. drag a marker on the screen where the text is, rather than adjust numbers in a side panel.

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

3 minutes ago, postmadesign said:

Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood, if I put my tabs on the top part of the ruler, it is reversed, if I put the at the bottom it is normal. Is this by design and if so, what is the purpose of this?

It's by design. The tabstops along the top edge are positioned relative to the right edge of the column instead of the left. You can see the difference if you make the column wider. It's intended to do a similar job to right-tab in Indesign, but in a more general way. A common use would be to right-align page numbers in a header.

9 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

tabstops along the top edge are positioned relative to the right edge of the column instead of the left.

OMG this had me baffled for an hour yesterday! 

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 11:28 AM, Dave Harris said:

Try clicking on the text ruler shown by View > Show Text Ruler.

Doh - thank you!

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

Today I Learned: from the Text Ruler you an also edit your tabs (leader, alignment, etc.) if you hold the control key and click! Back in the day I cried many a bitter tear in frustration learning how to set and edit tabs in PageMaker and InDesign (yeah, I've been around THAT long, get off my lawn). This is so much easier!