You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No column Grid?

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to post a request for this exact thing, but I'll just add my voice here instead. A simple way to create column and row guides is a must. I actually spent quite a long time trying to find the settings because I assumed they simply had to be there already.

I feel like the Text Frame settings (View > Studio > Text Frame) are also a bit buried given how important they are (as the only way to easily manage columns). 

The option to create a grid with basic margins/columns/gutters should be front and centre, probably presented when you create your new document.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I´m an editorial designer, and for me creating, managing and rearranging guides is basic, I found that even Illustrator lacks this and the only software I use which has this right is InDesign. I hope that Publisher and hopefully Designer as well might benefit from devs having this reconsidered.

I have seen the tutorials for Publisher and I found it crazy when the instructor just dragged guides out from the rulers by the eye. Professionals don't work like that, we set up guide systems in a rational and exact way. You can see this in the "master pages" video tutorial for Publisher. I know you can do this via the guides manager but it is one guide a the time right? or maybe I am missing something.

I -as many who are interested and suggesting stuff- hope Serif and the Affinity line can work things up to the level where there is no Creative Software Monopoly.

Thanks

On 9/24/2018 at 4:55 PM, Medical Officer Bones said:

Seeing how the guides are implemented on a rather low level in the apps architecture, I don't expect the Affinity developers to re-code this any time soon. At least, I really, REALLY want to be proved wrong here.

No need so be so dramatic. :)

There is more than just one way to skin this particular cat.

I don't think that inDesign way is the only right way. I can envision guides to be saved as presets and you can call any precent you want on a given page or even better associate a given set to a given Master Page. No need to think in terms of layers as per inDesign way.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

On 10/6/2018 at 6:31 PM, somnolentsurfer said:

But it won’t divide the page into equal columns with gaps between them. 

Yes it will.

Turn off Use Automatic Grid, set Mode to Advanced, turn off Uniform, and use the Spacing and Gutter settings in the appropriate axis (first axis defaults to horizontal/columns, second to vertical/rows).

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Turn off Use Automatic Grid, set Mode to Advanced, turn off Uniform, and use the Spacing and Gutter settings in the appropriate axis (first axis defaults to horizontal/columns, second to vertical/rows).

1. How do you set the origin point of the grid to be the top left of the margin instead of the top left of the page?
  2. How do you get Publisher to automatically calculate the spacing and gutter you need in order to divide your page into two columns? Or three, four, etc?

20 minutes ago, somnolentsurfer said:
  1. How do you set the origin point of the grid to be the top left of the margin instead of the top left of the page?
  2. How do you get Publisher to automatically calculate the spacing and gutter you need in order to divide your page into two columns? Or three, four, etc?

Sadly we can't. That is if I am interpreting correctly, do you want a mirrored set of Left and Right pages? We can only have the one origin point and that is on the far left of the spread not the gutter.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, somnolentsurfer said:
  • How do you set the origin point of the grid to be the top left of the margin instead of the top left of the page?
  • How do you get Publisher to automatically calculate the spacing and gutter you need in order to divide your page into two columns? Or three, four, etc?

Basically, what I am trying to say is that this is not the last word from the Affinity devs on how Affinity Publisher is going to handle grids and ruler guides.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Version 1.7 already overhauled the grid system compared to 1.6 (looking across the suite) but lack of ability to specify an origin point is a significant omission.

EDIT: I stand corrected.  For some reason I was thinking they had changed more than they have in the grid system... actually looks fairly similar.

8 hours ago, Seneca said:

I can envision guides to be saved as presets and you can call any precent you want on a given page or even better associate a given set to a given Master Page. No need to think in terms of layers as per inDesign way.

Saving guides on a preset would be great.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi, I’ve read through most of the posts and i really would love to have a grid system built within the programme too. But, as thats not happening (if it ever will) i did some digging round to find something to help create a template for me so i could at least upload it into Inifnity.

https://taramparam.github.io/Gridder/

It’s a nice simple little webpage - you can download the created template and then upload into infinity. I traced over the image with the grid lines.

Hope this helps some folks :)

https://blog.marvelapp.com/better-grid-systems-ui-design-tools/

This software appears to be the sort of approach to grid and column layout that is required. Sadly, the beta program is now closed. 

More about the software at the link below... 

https://subformapp.com

Having a single software program that creates precisely what is required is probably more useful than having any jack of all trades software solution. For me, I really like the direction Affinity Publisher has taken. I don't happen to have any legacy files in other publishing software. I will happily use Affinity Publisher for all my layout work and send a PDF file to the printing house.

Imposition abilities was my one hope for Affinity Publisher but there is software which is available for that task. I like to be able to create all of my potential grid layouts before working on any project. The quote at the top of the article is instructive and it is certainly one with which I agree. viz

"Designers must be able to explore the consequences of grids visually—not just in code." 

On 10/25/2018 at 10:08 AM, AdamW said:

Hi, thank you for all the contributions in this thread. We hope to have a Grid Guide system fairly soon. When it lands, please let us know how you get on with it.

Good to know, thank you. There is a world of difference between bloatware and a software development that is responsive to the user base which contains everything the user base requests. This is a tough ask, considering where Serif started from and the current and pre-existing state of the market. Well done Serif!

The endless requests to the dev team are likely to be... well, endless. The triad of software produced under the Affinity banner is a fantastic achievement and (as expected) the software is improving with every update and iteration. 

On 10/25/2018 at 5:01 AM, Creativeelc said:

i did some digging round to find something to help create a template for me so i could at least upload it into Inifnity.

https://taramparam.github.io/Gridder/

It’s a nice simple little webpage - you can download the created template and then upload into infinity. I traced over the image with the grid lines.

Hi @Creativeelc

That is a good helper. It is very easy to set up a grid of choice, download and import the PDF into APub and use it as a seperate Master Page.

Thank you for 'diggin round' :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hi, just updated to the new version (Built 157) and the colum system works really well. Thank you Serif. Only the performance is not so good. If I have just a double page with 4 or 5 Textboxes. Change a textbox size needs more then a second that the box follow my mouse. But it's a beta :)

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-07 um 15.14.43.jpg

Ah! Amazing. Just seen this on my lunch break, so don't have time to test fully before my next client arrives, but it's looking promising. Obviously will test to see if I have the performance issues mentioned  by 3joern and, as far as I can see, this doesn't yet have the ability to rebalance columns on the fly in the way that the column feature of text boxes does. But it'll build a grid, which is what I needed for a viable InDesign replacement. Thank you!

Oh just a quick info, if you want to adjust the bottom margin like me with 21,039mm but the number always spring back to 21mm, then you should change that in the prefs > User Interface – decimal Places... 3 for mm, than the number can adjust more precise to the baseline grid :)

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-07 um 15.38.39.jpg