You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Imposition of pages

Hi guys,

I don't know if it is called Imposition in English but I would like to know if Pulblisher can do this.

In other words I have a design with several pages and I would like to print it out doing the correct position of them like a BOOK.

Cover, back, etc... like the attached image.

Thanks

Pages Imposition for BOOK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Print as booklet does work (kind of) also save as pdf from the print dialog but pretty useless for me without bleed support - single pages show bleed but click on booklet or book and the bleed disappears 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Nice in theory, but although it seems to work for 4 pages, I couldn't get it to be in order for documents of 6 or 8 pages. It always put page 4 at the back. I first tried it with 6 & 4 pages and then I spotted that your screenshot has 8, so I tried that in case it somehow worked for multiples of 4, but to no avail. Am I doing something wrong?

Why do you want to impose your project? The printing company that prints the product has professional software for it. In most cases, the customer does not know how the printer will impose the product. There are also other factors to consider such as paper thickness and bleed allowance. The printing company generally prefers to work with single pages.

www.wobmann.com

I use imposition to make a 20 page A5 booklet. You need to make sure you select A4 (rather than Letter default). You need to pick Booklet, and short side duplex printing. I check properties, etc., to make sure nothing is changing my settings elsewhere. I then save the print configuration with a name like A5booklet. All works fine.

I do not need bleed.

This does not require to be sent to a professional printers. I tried QuarkXpress, and I could not get it to do imposition like Affinity Publisher beta. QX recommend an expensive imposition package.

• 2 weeks later...

Most digital printers like to receive PDFs of Booklets in printers pairs ready to print. It is not the case that they will always impose pages for you. Especially not for short run production.

It would be great if Affinity Publisher included the simple intuitive way this is done in Page Plus. It doesn't have to be complicated. Please.

5 minutes ago, gajrey1042 said:

Most digital printers like to receive PDFs of Booklets in printers pairs ready to print. It is not the case that they will always impose pages for you. Especially not for short run production...

Not in my experience. There are few times I have ever imposed for a print establishment of any kind. (I do impose for my own purposes as I have begun making books by hand as a fun hobby.) In fact, the only time I have imposed for a print establishment was for a place that ran inexpensive two-color jobs (black + spot color) that had zero facility to impose themselves, except film by hand.

Mike

On 10/2/2018 at 3:29 PM, MikeW said:

Not in my experience. There are few times I have ever imposed for a print establishment of any kind. (I do impose for my own purposes as I have begun making books by hand as a fun hobby.) In fact, the only time I have imposed for a print establishment was for a place that ran inexpensive two-color jobs (black + spot color) that had zero facility to impose themselves, except film by hand.

Mike

Well for some reason the Optical disc business has since CD booklets arrived ask for imposed pages. That's the business we are in.

Gerald.

I have a Mac and I can print out booklet style documents from the native print function. I can export a spread file as PDF and it comes out as single pages, but I can have different right and left pages. I have Readdle PDF Expert, but Preview works just as well. However, printing straight from Affinity Publisher gives problems if the total page number is not a multiple of 4. So I don't really have a real-world problem. It's just irritating.

16 minutes ago, gajrey1042 said:

Well for some reason the Optical disc business has since CD booklets arrived ask for imposed pages. That's the business we are in.

Gerald.

Hi, Gerald. 

I have only done a dozen or so CD booklets. None since the late 2000s. We still did single page pdfs that were imposed by the print establishment. 

If this is a requirement I would recommend either a dedicated imposition software, or, whilst awaiting for Serif to build it in, to make templates for your typical page counts that link to individual pages of a pdf. Once created you should be able to swap out the pdfs for the current/last used pdf and update the link. I do the same procedure for yearly calendars for several clients where the calendar is made in an excel file, exported to pdf.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just made my first project in Publisher, a four page brochure A4 folded to A5.  Much to my surprise it did not show me the spreads I expected to see; e.g. I expected to be looking at pages 4 & 1, 2 & 3.  Instead I got page 1 A5, pages 2 & 3 on A4 landscape, and page 4 A5.  They can't be printed out like that as only the centre pages will be correct.   I could work around it but surely if the program is to used by printers it should show us what we are used to looking at?

By the way, Herojas 93 seems to have his imposition wrong, with all the even pages on the right instead of the left.

40 minutes ago, Eric Jervis said:

By the way, Herojas 93 seems to have his imposition wrong, with all the even pages on the right instead of the left.

No.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.