You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Failed to open file" message

Hello there,

I've just found a tiny error when attempting to open a previously closed file through the Open Recent menu. It always returns this message: "Failed to open file... The file is already open by another application", even if it's not. What I do is to close Publisher and once opened again, the file loads normally through the same Open Recent menu.

Bests,

Enrique

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 8.38.04 AM.png

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

Follow us on Instagram  |  Follow us on Twitter |  Like us on Facebook

• 2 years later...

I have been an Adobe Creative Suite user for almost 30 years, mostly Photoshop. My last update was CS3 about 12 years ago on my thirteen year old G5. I recently got a new iMac but I did not want to go with a subscription for Photoshop so I have been running PS on my G5 with screen sharing but there is a of lag time so I started looking for a PS clone . You can imagine my delight with finding the Affinity apps, Photo does everything my old PS does and the video tutorials are great. 

I have been using Photo for about a week now without any problems but suddenly I cannot open any of my jpgs. I get the message “Failed to open file...The file is already open in another application.” I made sure that the images are not open in any other apps, even the free Adobe bridge app that was working fine before. Unlike Enrique  previously opened files open fine.

The workaround is a pain in the butt, I have to File/ Place the image into a doc that is the right size, usually an image from the same batch/size, then Cut, then New from Clipboard, then go back to the finder to copy the name, edit it then save it as afphoto or export it as a PSD so I can save my layers, finally on the Export as jpg. Appreciate any help, I have lots of photos to edit.

JulieO

• 1 month later...