You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[solved] Designer: Is there a way to cut of one handle or make it straight?

Hi, I'm working a lot with the pen tool to draw smooth curves or straight curves, but I find myself a lot of times wanting to make one handle in a 90 degrees straight angle (no curve) leaving the other side smooth (curved).

Look at the video of a simplified situation I have almost dayly here. As you can see there's no way (at least I know rightnow) to make one side of the curve 90degrees straight.
Just to be complete: I know about boolean operators and masks, but boolean operators unfortunately result in a lot of junk anchors at the current version of Publisher and change the way the curve is build. That's not what I want. Neither do I want to use non-destructive methods like masks, clips, artboards or whatever. I really want to cut off the shape destructive without creating extra/different anchor points that messes up the shape.

So in short:

I'd like to cut of one handle or make it straight...

1) Is there a way to cut a handle, or making one handle a 'straight' one, leaving the other one curved?

2a) Is there a way to snap a handle to a 45, 90, ..., 180, ... and so on degree angle or set the rotation from anchor to handle by numbers?

2b) Right now I can't find a way to know if the angle is straight. Is there any way to know at what exact angle a handle is to its anchorpoint?

If this would be possible that would make my day(s) :)

Friksel, after deleting the node do an opt/alt click on the handle instead of moving it.  That will remove the handle which is much easier than adjusting it. 

2a & b If you really want to adjust it instead of removing it turn on the "Snap off-curve handles" (the 4th icon in the Snap setting) then it will snap to be inline with the path.

Hope that helps.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

25 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

Friksel, after deleting the node do an opt/alt click on the handle instead of moving it.  That will remove the handle which is much easier than adjusting it. 

2a & b If you really want to adjust it instead of removing it turn on the "Snap off-curve handles" (the 4th icon in the Snap setting) then it will snap to be inline with the path.

Hope that helps.

@Gear maker Great! thanks!! That alt-click to remove the handle was exactly what I was after! Finally! You just made my day! :)

The other tip about 'snap off-curve handles' is also a very useful and welcome one, but I can't find that setting in my snap settings dialog. I'm using Designer 1.6.5.123, but can't find it in the snap dialog nor the settings panel. Where should I look for that setting?

10 minutes ago, MEB said:

Snap of curve-handles is located in the context toolbar (with Node Tool selected) in the Snap section (fourth icon).

@MEB @Gear maker I'm starting to feel a little stupid... these are my snap-settings when I have the node-tool selected AND have a node selected. They look the same independent of the selected tool, so my guess is I'm not looking in the right place? It is the snapping section though on the bar that I'd say is the context bar... maybe later I find my aha!-moment ;) but so far without luck

snapsettings.jpg

Just now, MEB said:

It's located in the context toolbar for the Node Tool (the horizontal bar right below the main toolbar) not in the Snapping Manager (shown in your screenshot.

@MEB Damn.. I was just about to reply to my own response 'cause I just found them, but you beat me! Snap!

I just found it in a ... snap :)  Silly, I thought I already knew Designer pretty well, but never really took the time to figure out these buttons and seem to have overlooked them since. Never knew there were more snap-settings! Briljant! These will come in handy! Nice. Thanks!

snaps.JPG

7 minutes ago, Friksel said:

@MEB Damn.. I was just about to reply to my own response 'cause I just found them, but you beat me! Snap!

@MEB And this finally also solves the other problem I had; when I was holding SHIFT to snap during rotation of the handle I didn't understand why the snapangles were always different and somehow related to the (direction of the) curve instead of the canvas. Guess I have to take a very close look to this snap options. Nice to have thisone solved too! :)

• Staff

24 minutes ago, Friksel said:

I just found it in a ... snap :)  Silly, I thought I already knew Designer pretty well, but never really took the time to figure out these buttons and seem to have overlooked them since. Never knew there were more snap-settings! Briljant! These will come in handy! Nice. Thanks!

snaps.JPG

Hi Friksel,
Note that these local snapping options also apply to the Pen Tool. Version 1.7 will improve things here even more :)