You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multiple Mask Layers

Publisher should allow to choose the mask layer you are wanting to use when image contains multiple masks within an image.

Currently all mask layers are combined when placing an image. The work around is to export a new image with unwanted mask layers turned off. Exporting a new image just adds unwanted image management complexity issues to my workflow. We use these mask layers as text wraps built into the image itself or "bust outs" ( images that overhang the background). Along with these masks we also have masks layers for color correction and object isolation. We could have up to 3 or more mask layers within an image that server different purposes within image production. Those mask stay on the image in case we have to go back after and make further tweaks and changes.

I would expect that Publisher would recognize the individual mask layers and allow me to choose which one I want to use within the page. This is how indesign currently handles them. I would hope Publisher could handle multiple masks layers in the same fashion.

• Staff

Hi jbartley,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Do you mind uploading one or two of your typical image files with multiple masks using this link for me to add to our report/log/check out. I'm currently checking/testing a few related things (clipping paths on JPG's) and would like to take a look at this too if you don't mind thanks.

Uploaded 3 files for you. Each file contains 2 path layers edited in Photoshop and saved Tiff format. These are examples of how we use paths in our catalog layout. Hope you find these useful. Let me know if you need any more examples or explanation on this issue.

I will have mention that the paths don't show show up in Affinity photo as a curve layer as I would hope to expect. They are present in the paths in tab in PS, which may be a separate issue all together.

I have been taking my PS tiff and turning the path into a selection and making a mask from that for Affinity Photo to see. I have been re-saving the tiff and placing them in Publisher. Not the most efficient work around but it works.:| Once I get the layers converted to something publishers can see... I have the issue stated above.

I see two issues going on. 

1. Publisher not seeing separate masks/paths.

2. Affinity photo see seeing channels (reported as bug) and paths coming from photoshop.

• 5 months later...

Just checking in to see if this issue will be addressed in the current Photo beta?

So far I have not seen any changes in this area. I am still hopeful this will be addressed before the release of Publisher. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.