You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there such thing like an auto-page numbering for a linked text?

In a newspaper, there are stories to jump on different pages. In InDesign there is a tool 'Current Page Number,' where I can put a marker for continuation and another for a jumped story--it automatically detects where and from the page is and thus create a page number. I tried to replicate it on APublisher but seems not working?

I can't find a similar feature. There are features for total page count and such in View>Studio>Fields. But they are a bit wockedy. 

According to the Help File there should be a More button - but I can't find it. 

About power fields

Power fields allow various pieces of information or metadata within your document to be automatically inserted into the document text.

Items that may be inserted can be found in the Fields panel (accessed by opening the View menu, then selecting Studio, followed by Fields). For more information on available fields within the panel, see the Fields panel topic.

You can insert an item by double-clicking on its label while there is an active text selection or while the text caret is active. You can also convert power fields to plain text or update dates and times by right-clicking and selecting Edit field.

Fields panel

The Fields panel allows you to view and format information, statistics, sections, and other document properties.

From the Fields panel, you can view key information about your document and change the way certain fields are formatted.

The following sections are visible from the Fields panel:

• Document Information—displays the Author, Tags, Comments, Title, and Revision.
  • Document Statistics—displays key statistics for the document: Last edited by, Created, Saved, Printed, Save Count, Filename, Path, and Total Pages.
  • Document Sections—displays the following for each section of the document: Name, Page Number, Page Count.
  • General Information— displays the current Date & Time.

To edit field formatting:

• Click More to access advanced settings for the property you wish to edit. Certain fields allow you to change the formatting for the Language, Date, and Time.
  • Select your preferred formats from the pop-up menu.

17 hours ago, osang said:

In InDesign there is a tool 'Current Page Number,' where I can put a marker for continuation and another for a jumped story--it automatically detects where and from the page is and thus create a page number.

I asked the same question a week or so ago under the title Continued on and Continued from Page Numbering and you can probably find it if you search for that but the basic answer was not in v1.7 but is on the list for later releases.

Question: If you take a novel, for example, the front matter has no page numbers on it. The numbering starts usually with the first chapter, that means, that the count may start with the number 5 on that page. Is this already doable in AP?

Workaround would be, to let the count run from the first page und hide that under a white rectangle until it reaches the first chapter, but it would not be that professional, I guess :-)

2 hours ago, Neolino666 said:

Question: If you take a novel, for example, the front matter has no page numbers on it. The numbering starts usually with the first chapter, that means, that the count may start with the number 5 on that page. Is this already doable in AP?

I think that the answer to this problem is to start a new section from where you want page numbering to start from Document>Section Manager... and select Restart page numbering at 1. You would then need to create a master page that does not contain a page number and another that does contain the page number. Apply the no page number master to the opening pages and the numbered master to the pages in the section that you want to have numbers appear.

1 hour ago, Neolino666 said:

But the numbers would need to start with the number 5 then (assuming the front matter is made of pages 1-4). ...

True, but you can do that in the Section Manager.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1