You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

Is there a way to scale an object without using the handles. At the moment we have to drag on the corners to scale an object up or down. 

Sometimes I'd like to be able to zoomed in to something else and can't see the handles which makes precision scaling to match something in your drawing difficult.

This is because at that point the move tool is selected, so I can move the object without seeing the handles. Is there a modifier key I missed somewhere that turns the move tool into a scale or rotate tool? I don't think there is or I haven't found it after 4 years of use.

If not I'll put in a feature request. Something like when holding the command key the move tool turns into scale and holding the option key turns it into a rotate tool when the cursor is over an object.

Thanks,

Bert

1 hour ago, BertD said:

Is there a way to scale an object without using the handles. At the moment we have to drag on the corners to scale an object up or down. 

As @MickRosesays, the Transform panel is the best option.

If you hover the mouse pointer over a width or height entry box, you can turn the mouse wheel to adjust the size dynamically. Saves having to enter a number. Don't forget to lock the aspect ratio link.

You can move the object too by hovering over the X or Y boxes and turning the wheel.

Drag the Transform panel off the Studio and over the image, if it helps.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I'm aware of the transform panel but that doens't allow for a quick intuitive way of working for me. I use it when I want to scale things to a size that I know. When doing a free transform I'd like to be able to do so freely but can't when zoomed in and don't see the selection handles. It's one of those few handy things Illustror has that  I'd like to see in Designer as well.

Bert

Bert, I agree it is something that is lacking.  Especially when you have text so you need to reach the lower right handle. 

When I'm working on a large drawing I frequently create a New View of my drawing.  In one view I have it zoomed into the detail area and the other is zoomed out or moved to allow use of the handles.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

2 hours ago, BertD said:

In the transform panel you can enter percentages too, or calculations like '60px*0.5'. I use percentages like 50% a lot, having the aspect on lock to scale width and height at the same time. But maybe you're like me and like to have a special slider/value textbox just to set the scale for a quick and intuitive to set the scale by a slider/mousewheel and numbers. That would be a great addition in a future version.

53 minutes ago, toltec said:

As @MickRosesays, the Transform panel is the best option.

If you hover the mouse pointer over a width or height entry box, you can turn the mouse wheel to adjust the size dynamically. Saves having to enter a number. Don't forget to lock the aspect ratio link.

The mousewheel suggestion is great! I'll definitely gonna use that.