You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey, because the discussion board is full of requests and I don't really know where to put my thoughts and experiences from the first run of Affinity Publisher I put them here in a quick list for further discussion

UI

•     Doubleclick on Color in Color selector opens a different dialog to a doubleclick on a swatch
  •     mac OS Proxy Icons for file management
  •     monochrome tool icons

Color Management / Spot Colors:

•     Device independent color workflow
  •     generally mixed colorspaces (like in Indesign and PDF)
  •     Overprint preview, separations preview
  •     Better Overprint/Spot-Color-Management
  •     Make Spot Color from existing color
  •     Spot Colors in LAB-Color-Space for PDF Export    

Document Management 

•     Spreads which consist of more than two sides
  •     Printing Booklets / Imposition 

Export

•     select Pages for export by a list of numbers
  •     Use .joboptions for the definition of pdf-Properties (really important)
  •     Define PDF-X Output Intend
  •     Export print separations / separated color channels
  •     Interactive PDFs with page transitions and video content

Import

•     IDML

___♥___
| | |    | | |

• 6 months later...

Hi @BennyD,

On 9/12/2018 at 10:15 AM, BennyD said:
  •     monochrome tool icons

goto 'Preferences > User Interface' and look for 'Monochromatic Iconography' :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

@BennyD: Using the „Search …“ command top right of this page, you’ll see, that most of your suggestions have been discussed here quite detailed.

Of course many of your wishes will not be implemented in the initial version of Publisher. It can’t be expected, that the first iteration of a newly coded application will sport all features of 2, 3 decade old publishing veterans.

On 9/12/2018 at 4:15 AM, BennyD said:

Printing Booklets

Already available in the File > Print dialog.

select Pages for export by a list of numbers

Already available in the File > Export dialog.

Overlapping pages on spreads

I'm not certain I know what you mean, but you can already do things like having a picture or other object overlap both pages in a facing spread.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

@BennyDIt can’t be expected, that the first iteration of a newly coded application will sport all features of 2, 3 decade old publishing veterans.

the funny thing is, that a ten year old app like Indesign CS5 is still more powerful than this new app and that's why it's so hard to let it go.

___♥___
| | |    | | |

18 minutes ago, BennyD said:
  • Booklet printing/Imposition = unsatisfying
  • Better/more powerful resources manager

Both of those are very vague. To have any hope of seeing changes you should provide more details on what you need.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

There is an option for exporting a selection (w/o background). Not the same like in Indesign, but with some extra clicks possible.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

35 minutes ago, BennyD said:

the funny thing is, that a ten year old app like Indesign CS5 is still more powerful than this new app and that's why it's so hard to let it go.

Not sure what's "funny" about this. InDesign has been around (and being developed) for years: Affinity is new!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 1 month later...

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

Why not trying before missing? And why posting twice?

Because some features are not only specific to AF Publisher but to the full range and collide at that point in AF Publisher where you try to use features which have to be implemented in AF Photo.

Hey, because the discussion board is full of requests and I don't really know where to put my thoughts and experiences from the first run of Affinity Publisher I put them here in a quick list for further discussion

___♥___
| | |    | | |

On 4/11/2019 at 6:10 AM, BennyD said:

Overlapping pages for exporting parts of layouts or other useful applications…

This is a feature of the export persona in both Photo and Designer, though it does raise the interesting question of how that might interact with multi-page/spread-based documents...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey, because the discussion board is full of requests and I don't really know where to put my thoughts and experiences from the first run of Affinity Publisher  I put them here in a quick list for further discussion
(This applies to Affinity Designer and Photo as well)

UI

•     Doubleclick on Color in Color selector opens a different dialog to a doubleclick on a swatch  -- not resolved
  •     mac OS Proxy Icons for file management -- not resolved
  •     monochrome tool icons -- resolved (with bug in 1.9 on mac)
  •     Select same -- resolved 
  •     Scripting  -- not resolved

Color Management / Spot Colors:

•     Device independent color workflow -- not resolved
  •     generally mixed colorspaces (like in Indesign and PDF) -- not resolved
  •     Overprint preview, separations preview -- not resolved
  •     Better Overprint/Spot-Color-Management -- not resolved
  •     Resolve Spot-Color-Export-Bug https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/107952-cannot-get-spot-colors-to-pdf/&tab=comments#comment-731914 -- not resolved
  •     Make Spot Color from existing color -- not resolved
  •     Spot Colors in LAB-Color-Space for PDF Export  -- not resolved
  •     Full 1-Bit Color-Mode Support -- not resolved

Document Management 

•     Spreads which consist of more than two sides -- not resolved
  •     Printing booklets / Imposition -- not resolved
  •     PDF passthrough -- resolved
  •     Integrate Ressource Manager into Studio -- not resolved
  •     More Information columns in Ressource Manager -- not resolved

Export

•     select Pages for export by a list of numbers -- resolved
  •     Use .joboptions for the definition of pdf-Properties (really important) -- not resolved
  •     Define PDF-X Output Intend -- not resolved
  •     Export print separations / separated color channels -- not resolved
  •     Interactive PDFs with page transitions and video content
  •     IDML Export -- not resolved
  •     DXF Export -- not resolved

Import

•     IDML  -- resolved

I just bring that collected feature request up while Version 1.9 is released. Man you've still got a whole lot to do.

___♥___
| | |    | | |

4 minutes ago, BennyD said:

Object can share multiple Artboards

What do you mean?
Currently you can a.) use a symbol to make 1 object appear on several artboards, or b.) create an object in a layer outside of artboard layers to make it appear across various artboards (with limited handling options, though)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 hours ago, thomaso said:

What do you mean?
Currently you can a.) use a symbol to make 1 object appear on several artboards, or b.) create an object in a layer outside of artboard layers to make it appear across various artboards (with limited handling options, though)

cool, I mean b)
Haven't tried that before. It's counter intuitive at the moment.

For example, I have a large artboard with an object on it and I want to export two detail parts of that object so I make two new artboards which are children of the bigger artboard like the object is. But when I try to export those two artboards, they are empty, at least when I export them as slices.

And when I try to put the object on one of the two detail artboards the object gets cropped, so I can't export the whole thing. 

I didn't know until now that the object needs to be no child of neither the bigger artboard nor the detail-artboards.

I tried that instantly and realised it only works while exporting through the export dialog but not with exporting as slices

But that's ok for now. cheers man.

Feature will stay on the list. Needs to be improved.

B

ArtBoardSharing.afdesign

___♥___
| | |    | | |

2 hours ago, BennyD said:

not with exporting as slices

I guess you would define specific export areas with the Slice Tool, alternative to artboards. Keep an eye in the layers panel to detect empty artboards vs. not-empty slices. – Note you don't have to use Artboards, e.g. in your .afdesign you wouldn't need artboards at all.

2135624379_slicesvsartboards.jpg.d1f2d9681968382fe726115ec04f841d.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1