You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

artboard locked, children aren’t?

so, if I have an artboard locked an not visible, how come I can accidentally select and modify that artboard’s children?

do I have to individually lock each and every child item?

If so, big bag of hurt!

my goal is to be able to protect the contents of an artboard or group by locking the parent: one move, rather than locking each and every child: potentially dozens  of moves.

can many items be locked/unlocked by locking/unlocking their parent?

The current topic appears to be essentially the same as this one that you created less than an hour ago:

You also have a couple of other new topics about artboards and child layers. All of these seem to be very closely related, unless I’m missing something, so it strikes me that having a discussion across four separate threads is likely to become repetitive and confusing.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I do see your point, Alfred. Maybe it’s confusing to me. I think of an artboard as an area, but it seems to be treated as a type of layer, too. that’s a new convention to me.

what is also new to me is having a parent be locked, but it’s children be unlocked. guides are neither artboards nor layers but visual aides, and they seem not to be behaving to any conventions I’m familiar with.

I apologize for posting what could seem like duplicate questions. to me, they seem distinct as I’ve encountered them.

My turn for apologies, @VectorCat! Looking again at the last two topics I mentioned, although they are somewhat related they do indeed seem distinct.

I agree with your point about child layers being unlocked even though the parent is locked. I guess the problem is how to handle a locked state when it’s inherited: if some children are already locked when you lock the parent, should unlocking the parent unlock all of the children, or only those that were unlocked beforehand?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Whew! I feel a little bit better that it’s not just me. I tried to puzzle things out by tinkering with locking/unlocking. I don’t see a logic. 

You can:

1. lock a parent; it’s children will be unlocked and selectable - even when all is not visible
  2. lock a parent and individually lock each child - then, things seem to be truly locked-down and safe
  3. unlock a child item (parent locked) but not be able to select the unlocked child, which contradicts #1!

Also, selecting the top level of a group won’t result in the children being selected. If these issues are on the to-do list, cool, but meanwhile, I’m using AD hot n heavy and I need to find some way of controlling layers, artboards, parents and children and the conventions I’m used to don’t seem to be applying.

it’s  a wee bit unsettling..maybe like many people, I rely on being able to quickly lock and unlock things by leveraging the parent/child relationship.

edit: still experimenting here. the use of artboards seems to be involved with things behaving strangely (to me) regarding parent/child locking and unlocking.

I just made a simple document with no art boards. 3 shapes. select all 3 and group. lock the group and neither parent nor child can be selected. this is the convention I’m used to. However, expand the group in layers (group still locked) unlock and tap on a child, it becomes selected. This is very powerful. It seems not to break convention bcs you “go into” the layers to get at the child.

I need artboards but I need predictable locking and unlocking more, so maybe I’ll just improvise until things are straightened out, or the convention is revealed, cuz I just don’t git it!

HTH