You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tutorials on using Mask tool?

• Staff

Hi Anudeep,

Welcome to the forums :)

If you go to the in app help by clicking the question mark on the main menu and search for the word mask you will find a heading called layer masking this will have all of the information you need :)

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

16 hours ago, anudeep said:

some are which mentioned is not happening on the app

It would be helpful if you could provide an example of where it is not behaving as expected.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

I am having trouble here also.  The instructions in the app seem to leave me hanging on a ledge with no further help..  from what I am reading, I want to use the vector mask feature.  I have a rectangle shape drawn as my top layer and I want to use it to crop all the layers below.  Sounds like Vector Masking is what I want but the instructions go no further than telling me this is what I want? 

F5687BEB-804E-43EF-921E-F8769681B874.jpeg

24 minutes ago, jgowrie said:

Unless I am reading that wrong.. I am thrown off by going into the PIXEL persona for Vector masking...

Vector Masking means using a vector shape, or a hand drawn path, to make a pixel selection. Using that to mask the image.

That's why you have to go to the Pixel Persona, because you are ultimately making a pixel selection.

This is not the same as using a clipping path, where you can use a shape to 'clip' the image inside a vector shape or hand drawn path.

Adjustment layer masking means there is a mask built in to each adjustment layer. So if you applied a black and white adjustment, by painting on the adjustment layer with black paint, it masks the adjustment where you paint, creating a Colour Splash effect.

You need to clip your stuff inside a rectangle. Drag it all to the middle of the rectangle until a horizontal bar appears. That clips everything into the boundaries of the rectangle. Do that in the Vector persona.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks.. I ended up figuring out the vector masking and used the pixel erase tool to remove stuff outside the rectangle that I didn’t want..

I think ultimately what I probably wanted was to select the rectangle.. then select the stuff under that layer and clip away everything that was OUTSIDE the rectangle... I really wasn’t understanding the clipping instructions though and just went with the masking operation instead.  

Lots to learn as I find myself using Affinity Designer everyday now that it is on my iPad.