You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem trying to use multiple backgrounds checked on and off

This may not be a bug, but it's giving me problems. I might be doing something wrong, but intuitively I create a master page and every master has all of my background graphics embedded. I wish to have each "master" have a different graphic checked off and then I copy it to the pages in an order that I want so that each page in the regular page order has different orders of the background images.

The problem is that no matter which one is checked off when I copy it out to the pages, the copy takes the first graphic as checked off and I have to go into each individually and select the graphic I want, but then ALL of the other copies take on that background selection attribute. Why isn't it as easy as each copy having a different background image selected where they do not change the checked off selection of the others? Am I making sense here? What is the proper way to do it if I am doing it wrong?

Thanks.

Screenshot 2018-09-11 21.46.64.png

As you can see here, I am using different masters for the different page copies and no matter which image is selected in each page it makes ALL of the pages have the same image selected. Maddening. This can't be correct behavior? Am I doing this whole operation wrong?

02-Screenshot 2018-09-11 21.54.82.png

When I go to any regular page and set the image I want to appear, in layers, it changes the image on every other page too, which is what I do not want.

It seems that whenever I change the layers background image selection in ANY page it also changes in the other pages (non masters). Surely this cannot be correct behavior?

The workaround for me is to literally create a copy of the master that contains all of the backgrounds and then copy each master separately and then in pages (or master) change the background that is checked off in layers so that the other pages aren't changed as well. A LOT of work and silly to have to do when regular non master pages should be able to be manipulated independent of other pages and masters. What if you have many pages that you need to manipulate this and you only want to deal with ONE master image that contains ALL of the background images in Layers and then in the regular pages area you want to simply check and uncheck the used background image? You can't! Changing that changes it for ALL pages including the master in the master area. The only way I see around this now is to literally create a new master with unique checked off background image (or other unique attribute that you want) and copy that to the pages area, so this would mean that you need a master to correspond with EVERY iteration of page version that you want. This is silly! Trading one elegant solution for something that requires much work to accomplish!  

C'mon and tell me that this will be changed to accommodate the elegant workflow! That workflow is create your ONE master with ALL backgrounds in layers and then copy it out as many times as you need to pages, and then in EACH page simply go into layers and select what you need and ONLY that page is affected. This is how something like this should work and needs to work. (!!!)

If I have a master with eleven backgrounds in layers and then I create 11 different pages based on that master, I ought to be able to go into each of these pages and check off the background that I want without it affecting the other pages. As it is now when I selected a different image it changes on ALL pages. The only way to not have this is to literally create 11 masters each with a different background graphic, or maybe have all eleven and check off a different one for EACH master and then copy EACH master to the pages separately. Silly!

3 minutes ago, haakoo said:

No, you need to switch off the visibility of the group, not the image
Take a look at my file I posted here above
Go to a local page and switch off a mp in the layers panel and switch on another
The mp doesn't get changed but the items on the local page has a different visibility

I would love to look at your file but I downloaded it and when I try to open it it crashes publisher. 

1 minute ago, haakoo said:

You are working the other way around:
A mp is set to all or specific pages and you create a mp for every layout you want so you can alter a mp everywhere
And apply multiple to multiple pages or not
It isn't one mp with all concepts you can alter per local page

Why should I have to create a different master page "version" for every layout? It makes sense to create ONE and then make pages based upon that master and in EACH page you make it how you want to to look. In my case, I want to simply check off the background that I want in each page in the layers, but when I do all of the other pages and the master change to what I checked off. To me this makes no sense or logic and is unintuitive. 

3 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

@worlok See if this post is helpful…

Thanks I will try to digest that later as I have almost run out of time here at home and almost ready to get off to work. :(

I have the Windows version installed at work (Mac at home) and I may be able to play with it later. 

I think turning off SYNC for all pages in that symbols panel might be my answer. After doing that it lets me check or uncheck background images on a per page basis without affecting the other pages.

I will test this more to see if it truly is my solution. Thank you for pointing me to this feature it was buried and I had no idea what to even look for.