You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint behind the raster line art

I recently bought Affinity Photo  (I also bought Affinity Designer a while ago, still not quite gotten around to using it much. So, I'm still a bit of a newie at those software).   There is one thing I noticed when I opened a PSD file of lineart in Affinity Photo and turned on "Insert Behind the Selection" - I could not paint anything behind the line art , only on it.  Same thing with Affinity Designer, when I opened the PSD file in the Pixel Persona - no such luck.  Even if I just draw something directly in the Photo or the Pixel Persona (Designer), and then turn on "Insert Behind the Selection"...I can't paint behind the line art.    It seems to work only if I use vector line art instead. 

Curious:  Is there any way to paint behind the raster artwork, either in Designer or Photo?  (I realize I could use Flood Select Tool or Select Brush Tool, I just wanted to see if it is possible to paint/color behind the raster line art the same way I could do with vector line art.) 

Thanks~

Insert behind does not do what you are thinking. It basically controls where in the layer stack inserted files or new layers are placed.

If you want to paint behind something, select the layer behind, i.e. lower in the layer stack.

Of course, you will only be able to see what you paint if the raster art is transparent.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Is the line art on a transparent background, or white?

If it is on white then you need to deal with that first - there are various ways.

One method would be to set the line art to Multiply blend mode.

Photo also has an Erase White Paper filter which often works well. (Filters > Colour)

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro