You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any way to pan canvas using finger touch?

Hello, I am wondering if there is any way to pan the canvas with my finger. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, which has a touch screen. I also use Phase One Capture One and Clip Studio Paint. Within both of these applications you can pan the canvas with your finger without needing to change tools. This is a quick and natural gesture, it does not matter what tool is selected and does not require any modification key presses, nor does it require I remove my pen away from its hover state. For clarification, the finger is for panning and the pen or mouse is used for brushing. Does Affinity Photo for Windows 10 offer this feature as I've explained? Is this a feature being looked into for inclusion?

Thanks.

• 11 months later...

@Mark Ingram, thanks, that's better than nothing! However, it doesn't feel natural. I like to lean back and pan the document with just one finger like in other applications, e.g. Chrome. Furthermore, when trying to pan with two fingers I often zoom inadvertently, which is frustrating.

Maybe one-finger pan could be added as a configuration option?

On 8/16/2019 at 8:52 PM, feklee said:

@Mark Ingram, thanks, that's better than nothing! However, it doesn't feel natural. I like to lean back and pan the document with just one finger like in other applications, e.g. Chrome. Furthermore, when trying to pan with two fingers I often zoom inadvertently, which is frustrating.

Maybe one-finger pan could be added as a configuration option?

We purposely avoided the single finger pan gesture, as it would conflict with the tools (if you're in the brush tool and use a single finger to draw, does it draw, or pan?). For single finger panning, you need to switch to the Hand / View tool.

We already have an option to disable touch input unless they're gestures (e.g. two finger pan), so we could possibly add an option for enabling single finger pan (when disabling touch input).

1 minute ago, Mark Ingram said:

We purposely avoided the single finger pan gesture, as it would conflict with the tools (if you're in the brush tool and use a single finger to draw, does it draw, or pan?).

I understand, but I don't use my fingers for drawing. I prefer using the TrackPoint, and I can also operate my tablet with a Wacom pen.

2 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

For single finger panning, you need to switch to the Hand / View tool.

Too many steps. I want to pan and zoom while using a tool. That would be super convenient.

3 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

We already have an option to disable touch input unless they're gestures (e.g. two finger pan), so we could possibly add an option for enabling single finger pan (when disabling touch input).

Sounds like a perfect solution, looking forward to seeing it implemented!