You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bulleted List not respecting Character Style

Screencast attached.

I created a Bulleted List Paragraph Style. Then I created a Character Style to control the color of Bullets, turning them green (and dropping font size). I applied the Paragraph style to a text area. The bullets appear, but to not respect the green Character style.

If I reselect the text area and edit the Paragraph style, navigate to the Bullets area and cycle through the Character styles there, no changes appear in the bullets. However when I tick the "Apply Style to Selection" box and cycle through, the changes finally appear.

When I click "OK" to accept the changes, the bullets again revert to their prior state, ignoring the Character style once more.

There appear to be 2 bugs:

1) Clearly the bulleted list Paragraph Style is failing to implement the Character Style override for the bullets

2) Shouldn't any changes to the Paragraph Style automatically appear in all text that already has the Paragraph Style applied, regardless of whether the "Apply Style to Selection" box is ticked?

Without the checkbox to "Apply Style to Selection" ticked, it will turn the Bulleted List style to "BulletedList+" because the function can't assume to apply the style to your content without it. You can validate this (when you don't tick to apply to selection) by selecting a different Paragraph style on your bullets and then reselecting BulletedList, which would turn the bullets green.

I understand that a local override to the text formatting would cause the "+" addition to the Paragraph Style, but in this case I am directly editing the parameters of the Paragraph Style itself. Any change made in that way should propagate automatically to all text instances that are already using that style, such as my example.

Just to be sure, I did select the text block and apply a different paragraph style, then went back to the BulletedList style in question—bullets are still black despite the green Character Style override that is specified within the "Bullets and Numbering" subsection.

@ffca I'm able to reproduce your issue, that's a given. But to clarify, when you make changes directly to the character style such as color, then you don't need to tick the box to apply to current selection and the changes will apply immediately to a paragraph style. For example, if I change the "Yellow it Up" style to Red, all the bullet points will update without an issue. 

However, when you select a paragraph style and you will be applying another style to be part of one of its properties such as in bullet points where you link to another style, then you need to tick the box to apply to selection. The problem is, it doesn't save to the selection after you tick the box and click Ok on the preferences.

1724845222_BulletBug.thumb.gif.9c6da5517785a250f2cbe3d3018a5156.gif

50 minutes ago, ffca said:

Just to be sure, I did select the text block and apply a different paragraph style, then went back to the BulletedList style in question—bullets are still black despite the green Character Style override that is specified within the "Bullets and Numbering" subsection.

So this is different than what I mention in my previous post but its caused by the same thing. Basically the Styles aren't saving and Serif is aware of it and should be fixed in the next release. 

Usually Serif will comment in the post. With the styles preferences, I've seen posts for issues with saving the styles from day one when this 2nd beta came out... but I didn't really pay much attention to those issues until I found my own bug with bullet points  (wrapping text doesn't adhere to the Tabstop property). Ever since I've been looking into issues like this one and the one you've reported. :11_blush:

1445893833_ScreenShot2018-09-10at1_04_32PM.png.e0e4409387f10b14cf3f9ca9082c582c.png.3b3892955cf797e0b66b765fc8554f8d.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.