LizT

‘Subtract’ not working with complex shapes

I made an intricate shape that I wanted to subtract some small shapes from. It kept failing. I tried it with some very simple shapes on top of the intricate shape, it seemed to work with some shapes and not others. I wondered if there was something about the intricate shape I had made that was causing it to act unpredictably so I saved as an svg tried it in another app where it worked consistently, so I think this is some sort of bug in Affinity.

Hey LizT, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Would you be able to attach the document so we can reproduce it and pass to the developers? There are one or two Boolean operation issues that still need to be fixed so I wouldn't mind seeing the file so I can see if this is an entirely new issue or something that needs bumping.

Thanks for your reply. This is the file. I was trying to subtract the long white shape and have tried it with other shapes drawn with the pen tool. In each case the shape seems to be closed but it doesn’t subtract properly.  If I try and subtract something drawn with the  shape tool like a triangle it will do that OK. 

Untitled.afdesign

@LizT I think that the subtraction is working correctly, but the fill mode of the white sliver is set to winding (non-zero). This means that the hole appears but is totally internal to the overall shape, so is essentially ignored!

To fix this…

1. Subtract as usual.
  2. Layer > Fill Mode > Alternate

For more info see the bottom of this page in the help…

https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=/CurvesShapes/about_linesAndShapes.html?title=About Lines and Shapes

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)