You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spot Colours with Gradient Maps are Ignored

Hello,

my client wants to print certain image in one spot colour only (no CMYK colours at all) and I would like to find a way how to do this in AD.

I tried to create Gradient Map Adjustment layer and create simple gradient with spot colour on one side and white on the other. But when I export it to PDF, the spot colour is gone, only standard CMYK remains. Also I noticed that when I add on top of all layers an object with spot colour, it is converted to CMYK as well even if it sits on top of all layers and should remain as it is. Another odd thing I noticed when using Gradient Map Adjustment layer is that bleeds are for some reason ignored when exporting to PDF.

Attached is a test file with all layers and also two exported PDFs. First one is exported when Gradient Map Adjustment layer is enabled: spot colour and bleeds are missing. The other one is with Gradient Map Adjustment layer disabled. Bleeds are there, also spot colour for the text on top of the image is there, but of course the image itself is not toned to spot colour gradient.

As Gradient Map Adjustment layer does not seem to be an option, is there anything else I can try to achieve spot colour only output?

Thank you for any suggestions

Petr

pantone-test.afdesign

pantone-test-1.pdf

pantone-test-2.pdf

Obvious question but are you Exporting the PDF as PDF for Print.
1192984365_ScreenShot2018-09-11at10_43_23.png.621d7612a0f138e3d89680edbc20a3e7.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Serious flaws which I hope will be sorted soon.

I think the prob you have is the gradient map is a layer effect so the end result won't be a spot as the effect needs to be rasterised on output and theres a lot of flaws with the affinity  bleed situation, which is improving with every update,  my main gripe is if you have a page with some complex effects which render incorrectly to pdf, the easy solution is to rasterise the problem items but rasterising anything on a page crops to the page, so no bleed - very frustrating - 

I've just had n enquiry about a 2 fold DL leaflet set in Reflex blue and black which will require all the photos to be in reflex blue --- can't be done....... YET!..... hopefully, so back to InDesign CS5 for that one. 

Hopefully there'll be a update at some point that allows the standard use of spot colours and duotones that we've taken for granted for years in Quark and InDesign, making your solution a mouse click away.

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk