You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using haze removal selectively

The easiest way would be to use a mask.

Duplicate the image layer and apply the Haze Filter to that.. Add a 'New Empty Mask Layer' to the duplicated layer and make sure it is nested inside. 

hazelayer.jpg.8a342469c9f9160fcd2d80d7a76becac.jpg

It will appear to remove all trace of the Haze filter, which is what you want. You can then paint on the Mask layer with white paint to 'apply' the Haze filter to the image below.

hazegone.jpg.3a0147ecdd46fa968630433b3a3a7baa.jpg

Painting on the mask with white paint to reveal a (very strong) haze filter.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

So When I try this, and apply the haze filter to the new pixel layer, I am not able to see the haze filters effect. See screen shot. I must be doing something wrong. I was expecting to see the haze filter effect on the duplicate pixel layer and when I added the mask, it would go away. Is that correct?763586818_ScreenShot2018-09-11at7_32_20AM.thumb.png.a62332bae2cff27f1234bca2e0aeaede.png

27 minutes ago, Chris Anson said:

So When I try this, and apply the haze filter to the new pixel layer, I am not able to see the haze filters effect. See screen shot. I must be doing something wrong. I was expecting to see the haze filter effect on the duplicate pixel layer and when I added the mask, it would go away. Is that correct?

What is the pixel layer for?

Duplicate the background layer, apply the haze filter to that and then add the mask to that. It must be a 'New Empty Mask Layer' not a Mask Layer.

Look at the layers panel image in my post and follow the instructions for the type of mask layer and nesting it.

The haze filter will paint on the background layer as you paint on the mask. Which is what you wanted.

Thanks for the additional feedback. My misunderstanding in creating the pixel layer. Once I recreated your example on my image, I started to use the brush tool and it was applying white to the image. I realized that I needed to deselect all layers in the layers window. Once I did that then I was able to apply the haze filter selectively. Thank you again!

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, gwydionjhr said:

Is there a way to do this, but instead of painting the mask, use a gradient?

Sure, just select the Fill/Gradient tool and drag it across the Mask Layer.

You can select the gradient end stops and change the 'colour' to different shades of grey and just drag them around to get the effect you want.