You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Odd state for text box: arrows, delete, backspace all insert squares

On 9/10/2018 at 9:22 PM, walt.farrell said:

I have somehow gotten Publisher into a state where any use of the Delete, Backspace, or arrow (left/right/up/down) keys within the text frame on page 3 results in the insertion of a character that looks like an empty square.

image.thumb.png.545bb26eaa4142d178d118caedeb87cf.png

The .afpub file is too large to attach (29MB) but I'll supply it via the Dropbox link if someone on the Serif staff wants it.

Here with AP 1.8.3, mac Mojave 10.14.6, at July 20th 2020, and I had exactly the same 2018 issue! Very annoying because the only way to make this thing desappear and continue to work is close and reopen the AP. In three working hours I had to close and reopen four or five times. Irritating waste of time.

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 14.02.35.png

Edited by Cesar Valente
To include a screen shot of the problem.

33 minutes ago, Cesar Valente said:

Here with AP 1.8.3, mac Mojave 10.14.6, at July 20th 2020, and I had exactly the same 2018 issue! Very annoying because the only way to make this thing desappear and continue to work is close and reopen the AP. In three working hours I had to close and reopen four or five times. Irritating waste of time.

Is yours also related to the use of gradients on a Text Frame, as the earlier reports were? If so, that problem has been logged by @Pauls and it's then up to the Developers to prioritize it and get it fixed. It can take a significant amount of time, and general Serif does not comment on the plans and timing for fixing bugs. But I can see how that would be irritating, with it happening to you so often.

But if it's not related to the use of gradients, perhaps there's something else to be investigated.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Is yours also related to the use of gradients on a Text Frame, as the earlier reports were? If so, that problem has been logged by @Pauls and it's then up to the Developers to prioritize it and get it fixed. It can take a significant amount of time, and general Serif does not comment on the plans and timing for fixing bugs. But I can see how that would be irritating, with it happening to you so often.

But if it's not related to the use of gradients, perhaps there's something else to be investigated.

I've lost track of the different actions that cause this to happen for me — pasting text copied from a text file, drawing a guide, changing a paragraph style are just a few of them. It also happens several times in a working day for me and I've got into the habit of save/close/reopen to fix it.

• 4 weeks later...

@walt.farrell this problem has just happened to me having not happened before ever> 
I did use "Small Caps" while using Frame Text & encounted the problems mentioned above.
I got around it by using the Artistic text tool instead, but do you know why the problem has not been sorted yet?  ...the above was going back 2 years possibly Beta testing?

Best regards

Pete

• 2 years later...
  • Staff
On 9/11/2018 at 1:22 AM, walt.farrell said:

I have somehow gotten Publisher into a state where any use of the Delete, Backspace, or arrow....

Walt I just wanted to congratulate you on being the first to report this, that has taken 4.5 years to track down to a recipe, and fix ! I have been through searching threads for "backspace" and "delete key" and tagging with the recipe number AFB-7583, and this has been reported time and time again, However each time we never quite got to the bottom of the convoluted cause (using the cell formatting in the Table Panel and then clicking into a text frame or artistic text frame immediately after)

This search shows just some of the many reports that mean this can finally be sorted in the 2.1.0 release. Anyhow congrats on your report, sorry it has taken so long to fix!

<EDIT> Oh, not quite the first </EDIT>

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

The issue "Keyboard input broken after altering table settings" (REF: AFB-7583) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1742".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.