You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Odd state for text box: arrows, delete, backspace all insert squares

I have somehow gotten Publisher into a state where any use of the Delete, Backspace, or arrow (left/right/up/down) keys within the text frame on page 3 results in the insertion of a character that looks like an empty square.

image.thumb.png.545bb26eaa4142d178d118caedeb87cf.png

The .afpub file is too large to attach (29MB) but I'll supply it via the Dropbox link if someone on the Serif staff wants it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, @Pauls. Uploaded odd-characters.afpub

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

If it isn’t document-related, why does it only affect page 3? o.O

Perhaps the developers will get a clue from the fact that PagePlus sometimes does something similar, with keyboard shortcuts such as Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V adding characters to the text instead of cutting and pasting.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just experienced the same bug myself.

Very hard to say what I did. Nothing different from a usual day.

Affinity Cursor Delete Bug.afpub

Restarted app and file above is now working again, though you can see the spurious characters that remain from the bug.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

The gradients are irrelevant. I was simple experimenting with them at the time.

Yes, I'm on Windows 7.

This is the first time I've encountered this bug in many weeks to testing Publisher.

Sorry can't give more details. I really wasn't doing anything special!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Changed my mind… this is (for me) related to gradients.

1. New document
  2. Add text frame
  3. Type some text (all is OK)
  4. Add gradient to the text frame
  5. Type text…

Result…

• All text appears in capitals.
  • Cursor keys and delete insert "weird" symbols.
  • Shift key doesn't work to select sifted characters
  • '.' cycles the selection box!
  • ',' toggles split view mode.

These last examples suggest to me that the text box has in some way lost the focus.

39 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

Changed my mind… this is (for me) related to gradients.

1. New document
  2. Add text frame
  3. Type some text (all is OK)
  4. Add gradient to the text frame
  5. Type text… 

Once it goes wrong, press the ESC key

Does that revert to normal behaviour for you?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@carl123 Yes hitting escape does resume normal behavior.

@Pauls I am using the Fill tool.

1. Having created the text frame, I switch to the Fill Tool (either by clicking the icon or hitting G).
  2. Then I select the Context > Fill > Frame
  3. And Type: Linear
  4. Gradient is applied.
  5. Now return to the Text tool (again either by icon or hitting T).
  6. Bug arises.

Thanks, @Pauls.

I see from the history in my test file that the problem arose shortly after I removed an unexpected gradient from the newly created text in the frame, so mine is probably also related to the use of gradients in a text frame.

-- Walt
PC:

I was getting the same result (text all in capitals, backspace produced strange box characters) when I tried to use a text frame - not at all related to gradients as I hadn't done anything with those. I hadn't done anything at all, as this was the first time I'd ever used the software and it was a new file.

The problem happened no matter what I did and hitting Esc or creating a new text frame changed nothing. I closed without saving and then re-opened, and the problem had gone away.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

I have Affinity Publisher 1.8.3 and I'm using a Mac, Catalina 10.15.5.

I am experiencing a problem: When I use the delete, backspace, or any of the arrow keys within the text frame, I get a character that looks like an empty square. What I was doing prior to this problem was applying small caps to the headings, moving from one text frame to another. I don't know if that caused it. All I have on the page are text frames. No images or anything else.

I did try pressing the ESC key and it worked, but I want to know if this problem/bug has been addressed at all. Has anyone figured out the cause?

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The same thing has started happening to me today AP 1.8.3, High Sierra 10.13.6, Macbook Pro 13. Nothing to do with gradients for me, but seems to start happening after I draw a guide.

It seems nothing has been updated on this issue since September 2018, but it is still happening.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.