You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request: equal distribution guides (and a quibble)

I may not have found any built-in 'distribute object' tool, but one thing I know is missing that would be helpful is an equal distribution guide. I'm sure you're aware of how, in for example Adobe Illustrator, if you duplicate an object along a straight line by using ALT+click+drag, the next duplicate will have a snapping-enabled spacing hint that appears between the first two and the second two objects.

The Publisher beta already has a hint for when an object is being duplicated that makes it easy to keep it perfectly aligned with the original object. A spacing hint that works in a similar fashion to what I described would be very useful if you're just happily ALT+click+dragging to make duplicates.

Or did I miss that somewhere and it's already in the program, and I have to enable it? If that's the case it really should default to "on".

Also, one minor UI quibble: when a handle is used to pull the edge of an object; for example a rectangle, and the edge being dragged is close to the scroll bar area of the design window at either the right or the bottom, the sizing hint that appears when the handle is clicked should always be visible on top of the scroll bar if the handle gets pulled that far. A user cannot interact with the scroll bars while dragging a resizing handle so there's no real use giving the scroll area visual precedence.

I'm an InDesign user and so far I'm very impressed with your software; it's very intuitive and I feel like I'm right at home. Please keep up the great work!

Hi, and welcome here! 

Snap to gaps and sizes is the option you will need. Make sure to drag your object with the Command key pressed when you want to create a duplicate (supposing you are on a Mac keyboard). Pressing the Alt (Option) key will disable snapping when you duplicate an object. :)

Cheers, Alex

Snap.png.349f9d25cefc0b59cc282aad8cab2004.png

Little-Helpers.png.e35d0e1738ec4be010fc70050c792f7f.png

I am also looking for a "distribute evenly" option, which in help is said is located under Align, but there doesn't seem to be anything there. Snapping is all well and good if you have a few items to move, but if you have numerous objects that you want to spread out, being able to place the first and last object in place and then select all and distribute evenly between would be extremely handy!!! Am I just not seeing it there? Please help! :)