You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Name Pages Individually

Hello !

+1 ! It's definitely à very good option to develop !

I’m working for a wine producteur as client and there is two exemples for both print and interactive PDFs :

1/ Sometime I have 10 labels design on the same projets because it’s easier for updates. The Label printer I work with ask me to have separate PDFs for each labels he needs to print. And of course he needs its with distinct names to avoid mistakes.

2/ Also, my clients, asks me technical sheets for each wines he makes in différent langages. Ex : ex : wine01-red-2016-english / wine05-white-2019-français / wine06-rosé-2019-italiano… I could be 30 or 40 pages. I would say that I’m tired to use online pdf services for divide my PDFs and rename each pages after…  Its very lost of time.

It’s could be so simple to have the possibility to export distinct pdf natively  AND to have the possibility to rename pages as artboards.... Or have the possibility to assign tags or metadatas and to use them in the exports naming...

It could be another good tip for an ID concurrency… ! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It would be lovely if naming the pages would be possible. I use it for alphabet buntings for example. Every page is a different letter. And I use it for makeing productimages for Shopify and Etsy in two languages. I would give the names including the language for example.

2 hours ago, EsterB said:

I use it for alphabet buntings for example. Every page is a different letter.

Hi EsterB,
Welcome to the Affinity forums!

Honestly I don't understand your goal exactly – so, just in case: You can place visual page numbers as alphabetical letters with an according setting in the sections panel, e.g.:

919201884_pagenumbersaletters.thumb.jpg.63ca2e0ee17cd8bd7b46e6538f7a142b.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

You need a text frame, either Art Text or the Text Frame tool will make one. Then you need a Page Number Field it looks like a #. With the text caret in the text frame (blinking) |  go to Text > Insert > Fields > Page Number. Or... you can open a panel from View > Studio > Fields and there will be a Page Number there too.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

45 minutes ago, EsterB said:

it still says page 1 underneath. 

That is what wasn't clear to me: do you want to
a.) name the app internal page labeling (under page icon in pages panel), or
b.) make the page number as alphabetical letter appear to the readers of your product.

This thread actually is about a.) only – though my recent reply was about b.).

For b.) you don't need to use the field <Section Name> at all (though I used it in my screenshot above, named with a space only). Attached an .afpub without using <Section Name> but page numbers as A, B, C... only:    v186 page numbers as letters.afpub

1029122576_pagenumbersalettersA.thumb.jpg.4803a92c30a14f46dc247b8466ee0c24.jpg

• 1 month later...

I too am interested in the ability to rename page references in the Pages Panel within Affinity Publisher.

Rather than 'Page 1', 'Page 2', etc. Julien Harant and others would like to replace those references in the Pages Panel with user definable text.

An example of the usefulness of this ability is to label 'Page 1' as 'Front' and 'Page 2' as 'Back' in a trifold layout. If a designer has several mochups of a trifold concept, or multiple trifolds for different purposes, a page labeled as 'Page 6' is far less useful than 'C-Front' (being the third mochup).

There are hundreds of uses for the ability to provide custom names for referencing pages within the Pages Panel. A page layout application is not only for creating books and multi-page brochures, but for creative layout designs. Organizing multiple samples within a document, and providing intuitive user-definable naming references is often useful. I realize artboards can be used to partially satisfy this need, though not all users are comfortable with artboards, and applications should be designed to elegantly meet the needs of its users. Regardless, artboards do not fully satisfy this need, and I believe Affinity Publisher will benefit from incorporating this capability. Referencing pages for printing, deleting, etc. can still be done using continuous page numbers, which would be displayed under page thumbnails (in the Pages Panel) adjacent to custom page names.

Affinity Team:  Please provide the ability for users to specify custom page names in the Pages Panel.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+1
Exactly. I found out that when you export specific page numbers, the newly exported pages will overwrite the previous imports.
This is because the file names are based on the document name followed by an underscore and always starts at 1 and so on...

This would not happen if the pages have different names.

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

2 hours ago, Elise Kleve said:

This would not happen if the pages have different names.

Yes, it would, because the app export <file_name> + _ + n, "n" being the number of page exported from 1 to x.

If APub could use an option to use pages' name, it should be more some sort of variable, since not everyone want the pages' name they don't bother to modify in the name of the file.

5 hours ago, Elise Kleve said:

when you export specific page numbers, the newly exported pages will overwrite the previous imports.
This is because the file names are based on the document name followed by an underscore and always starts at 1 and so on...

I think this unwanted overwritten files on export are related to a bug with auto-numbering and replacing. Your post reminds me of this bug report which never got commented by anyone yet:

On 9/2/2021 at 6:53 PM, RebelSpy said:

IM BEGGING YOU! Exporting a bunch of PNGs of each individual page would be infinitely easier if I didn't have to rename the files after the fact.

If you are doing a lot of this you might be better served with artboards in Designer rather than with pages in Publisher as they can be named and can be of differing sizes (if you have a use for that) and the Export persona defaults to taking the file names from the names of the artboards.  It can also export multiple formats and/or resolutions in one go if you need that.

• 3 months later...

I would also like to see this. I would also add I would like the pages to be renamed automatically when creating pages using date merge so that the pages get renamed the same thing as the field that generated the pages. So if my field was relationships like grandma, mom, dad, etc. then the page saying grandma would be named grandma as it creates the new page. 

• 3 weeks later...