You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Name Pages Individually

• 2 months later...

I would like that, too.

I create a photobook and I just want to plan my structure ahead to see where I want to place what.

I would expect that after naming a page it will be displayed as "Page 3: My Custom Name" for example.

If the page does not have a name it should still be "Page 3" as before.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

• 5 months later...

Agree +1

Another option. color: page icon frame.

Or iconized icons. Like AfPub's color swatches: tiny squares show even tinier symbols. Used already to mark an AfPub color swatch as either/or/and to be Spot/Global color. Sounds complex, looks easy.

Advantage: 1 shape instead multiple glyphs
Disadvantage: No text
[conclusion: AI]

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, barrycosta said:

It's a need for sure!

Not so sure about that.

InDesign can't do this either (people are asking: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/31462438-add-ability-to-name-individual-pages-just-like-w).

QuarkXPress lets you name master pages, but I don't believe you can name individual document pages.

6 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Looking back through years of requests, thousands of requests, it's never been requested, either.

I'd say that is kind of telling...  this is not a "needed" feature, not really essential.

It is not a bad thing to ask for by any means - but it is a want or a potential convenience, not really a need, at least for the vast majority of users.

3 hours ago, fde101 said:

this is not a "needed" feature, not really essential.

I think this is another separation line being drawn between APub and AD. Pages are numbered and artboards can be named.

Apart from that it is possible to place text left and right of a spread that could be used with some discriptive names. Not much more effort than typing in a name in the spread properties. The only drawback: this text is not visible in the Pages Panel.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

6 hours ago, fde101 said:

I'd say that is kind of telling...  this is not a "needed" feature, not really essential.

It is not a bad thing to ask for by any means - but it is a want or a potential convenience, not really a need, at least for the vast majority of users.

Note that both these apps offer chapters to structure a document, which reduces their need of customizing page icons or names.

So it might not be useful to compare what users of other apps do request. And, by the way, if an app would cover only the needs of the "vast majority" it would be quite slim ;)

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

Note that both these apps offer chapters to structure a document, which reduces their need of customizing page icons or names.

So it might not be useful to compare what users of other apps do request. ...

Note that while both ID & Q have a book feature that doesn't mean that naming pages would be useful in books I do because in the vast majority of the books I do, I don't use that feature. I do use sections, but even so I cannot imagine it would be an aid.

But none of that should take away a valid request. I just wouldn't use such a feature. 

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

Note that while both ID & Q have a book feature

Yes, that's what I tried to point at when the app comparison was mentioned as counter argument. But although chapters and sections are options to visually structure the pages panel they have the disadvantage of re-starting page numbers and a rather complex workflow for creation, and export, too. May be that is why the OP @KatrinaC requested literally "without using Sections".

For instance I would appreciate a quick way to visually structure the page icons, less for books/brochures but rather in documents which grow over time by layout alternatives or their developing versions within 1 document (e.g. advertisements). As workaround I got used meanwhile to insert blank spreads with an obvious color background and/or very large text notes for easier overview in the pages panel. (The alternative AD, which allows custom artboard names, to me has the disadvantage of a massively increasing amount of layer panel entries which always include all all layers of the entire document, not the current page only. Not to mention some missing APub features.)

Instead customized page icon names (which might increase complexity on export/print) I would prefer a custom colorizing option. This also could help to identify applied master pages easier, a request recently mentioned in this thread:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/106638-need-visual-clue-for-applier-master-page-in-mp-page-panels/

pages panel colors.jpg

23 minutes ago, thomaso said:

have the disadvantage of re-starting page numbers

This is optional in Affinity Publisher.  If you set the section to "continue page numbering" then this does not happen.

24 minutes ago, thomaso said:

a rather complex workflow for creation

Doesn't seem all that complicated...  though granted it does require extra steps compared to simply naming the page.  Again I don't see anything wrong with the request, and it would probably be welcomed by various other users, I just don't see it as something essential to the program.

33 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I would prefer a custom colorizing option.

That seems like a reasonable way to visually mark which masters are applied to which pages, at least until you start accumulating a large number of master pages and can't tell the colors apart any longer...  but if done that way, you are in essence using the colors to "name" the master pages, so applying colors to the individual document pages as well might lead to more confusion than utility.  You would need a clear way to distinguish within the page listing which colors represented the pages themselves and which ones the referenced masters.  I don't think I like the idea of using colors for both.

I would so need this too.

My use case: I design different covers in different formats using the same elements. In AffPub I cannot easily see which cover is in which format, I need to zoom out or check dimensions, having names instead of page numbers or folders or visible icons would help.

2 hours ago, vaidab said:

My use case: I design different covers in different formats using the same elements. In AffPub I cannot easily see which cover is in which format, I need to zoom out or check dimensions, having names instead of page numbers or folders or visible icons would help.

Hello @vaidab and welcome to the forum.

This is exactly what I was referring to with my above posting:

Quote: "Apart from that it is possible to place text left and right of a spread that could be used with some discriptive names."

This would look something like this:

page-names.thumb.png.f388f9a51928ccfd788ae0ca4d55d85f.png

You don't need page names to get this done 🙂

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Some kind of page naming could be possible if master page(s) marks and names are shown on the pages thumbnails.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

On 2/15/2020 at 4:36 AM, vaidab said:

This sounds like a better fit for Designer using artboards (which can be named) as you can also use symbols to keep the common elements in sync

• 6 months later...

I would like to have the ability to name individual pages, because when I export all pages, the name gets the page number appended to the end. 

If I could name pages, I could simply export and have the actual information I want on my file names.... For SKU purposes on files specifically.... 

"File-Name-page-color" instead of "File-Name-#"

Look Good, Live Wild, Love Life

- TrYptiX Fashion

• 4 months later...

+1. I am a teacher and I am just starting to use Publisher to design handouts, prints, and plans for lessons. (Have been using Photo for the past year, but I hear publisher might be better for the kind of materials I make.) 

I would like to be able to name one page, for example, "Lesson 3 - Print A," the next "Lesson 3 - Print B," and the next after that "Lesson 3 - Card Set," and so on. Next, if possible, I'd like to be able to export them all into individual png files (I can already do this) but with their names intact.

Edited by Eggyhead

5 hours ago, Eggyhead said:

I would like to be able to name one page, for example, "Lesson 3 - Print A," the next "Lesson 3 - Print B," and the next after that "Lesson 3 - Card Set,"

It is best suited to Designer.

Naming individual pages in Publisher would be useless for me. For example, if you need to print pages 30 to 50 and you have some pages that are named differently, you can't expect they would be printed, too. You'll have to print them one at a time.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

4 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

For example, if you need to print pages 30 to 50 and you have some pages that are named differently, you can't expect they would be printed, too. You'll have to print them one at a time.

I would expect to be able to use for defining output areas the anyway existing app internal numbering (numeral) of pages instead of custom names (text) only.